Using a single tank band with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have scoured the webz and done a couple of mild searches here on SB to no avail. Is it feasible to use a single tank band with a BP/W? I have the freedom plate with wedge, for the record. My Hydros only uses one tank strap and I'm wondering, before I get in the water, why wouldn't a BP/W?

Let the snark begin!!!!

Yes it is possible, would not be any more or less advisable than using a single tank band on any other type of BCD. My question would be why would you only want one tank band with no other backup method of securing the tank if the band comes loose? I typically diveBPW but also have a jacket BCD with only one tank band as well, but it has a secondary safety loop that goes around the neck of the tank to retain the tank if the primary band comes loose.

two bands are finagley. I know, its a minor inconvenience but I get frustrated easily.

I’m not aware of any federal mandates obligating you to use two tank bands with a BP/W. My petite wife has a small Freedom Plate and only uses the lower slot because she positions her tank lower to prevent the valve/reg from hitting her in the back of the head. This results in the upper tank band lining up with the unsuitable upper curvature of the tank leaving nothing to grip.

In the meantime I will contact your senator, Chucky Schumer, about initiating new legislation to force you to use two tank bands or else…

I’m not aware of any federal mandates obligating you to use two tank bands with a BP/W. My petite wife has a smalll Freedom Plate and only uses the lower slot because she positions her tank lower to prevent the valve/reg from hitting her in the back of the head. This results in the upper tank band lining up with the unsuitable upper curvature of the tank leaving nothing to grip.

In the meantime I will contact your senator, Chucky Schumer, about initiating new legislation to force you to use two tank bands or else…
Ok, that was a little weird but thank you for the clarification. I just wasn't sure if there was any difference with a BP/W vs. a normal BC in terms of tank adhesion.

Do be careful you keep the tank high enough to reach the valve. There is a sweet spot where that's possible, but not so high you can't tip your head back.

I had a customer forget to install bands on her new bp/w before joining a group of us at the quarry. I took one of my bands and gave it to her for the day so we both had a single band. It didn’t create any problems. I will say that two bands is more secure and i never have to get the nylon wet before putting it on the tank. With a single band i see tanks slip fairly often and usually because they didn’t get the nylon wet first…

I just wasn't sure if there was any difference with a BP/W vs. a normal BC in terms of tank adhesion.
Not so much if installed properly, however, I recommend adding an actual rubber compound grip pad to your single camband instead of the standard cheap plastic sleeve typically provided. Also pre-wet the length of your camband. That said, I’m an advocate for using two tank bands. This was ONE of the factors motivating me to get a BP/W and ditch my (one and only) poodle jacket with a single tank band very early on.

One night I hit the water for a negative entry night dive and my regulator violently fish-hooked my head to the right due to the full steel tank relentlessly trying to descend to bottom without me. My tank had slipped through the poodle jacket single tank band (yes, yes, yes, I pre-wetted the camband). It happens and too often it happens to inexperienced divers with rental gear. Have you ever seen a diver with a tank hanging halfway down their butt clutching their regulator like a starving peasant gnawing on a turkey leg? I have numerous times. Stepping down from my soapbox now.

If you have/purchase a scuba pro type cam band, they are super secure and you only need one strap. They are a pain to adjust, so if you are frequently using different tank diameters - then it may be easier to use two cam bands that are easy to adjust. The idea to add/use a safety strap or cord at the top of the plate to go around the tank valve, does provide some additional insurance, should you screw up and not tighten the strap(s) enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom