USIA Drysuit Purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txapacheguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am posting this a little late in the game, but any input would be welcome. I am looking at buying my first drysuit tomorrow. It is a 2000 or 2001 model USIA Aquasport that I found on a local craigslist ad.

I will be paying about $150 for it, and it comes with an undergarmet, neck ring, bag and probably an inflator hose. It looks as though the body of the suit will be a great fit, but the boots may need to be replaced to be a different size. USIA already told me they would do this for about another $150 or so, bringing the total investment to about $300.

This seems to me, based on my internet research and my talk with the lady at USIA, to be a decent deal. Is there anything beyond the obvious condition/security of the suit itself, and the seals and zippers that I should inspect prior to buying the suit???

I realize that if I get involved with a few major repairs on ten year old suit that I might as well buy a new entry model suit with a warranty, but for now I would like to try make some smart purchases on used equipment that will get me in the water and allow me to get some experience/education before shelling out the big bucks for newer and fancier gear. Pretty much everything I have now except my BP/W setup is used, and thus far, it all seems to work all work flawlessly. Hopefully this drysuit will be no exception. I will be driving up to Denver tomorrow morning to look at/pick up the suit, so any wisdom you guys are willing to share between now and then is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Update:
I picked up the suit this morning. It looks and fits alot better than I had originally hoped and is in incredible shape. It looks as if its never been used. The the inflator still seems to work, and the boots and everything fit just right. The guy hooked me up with some zipper wax, talc powder and trident wet suit-eze. I am just anxious now to get some ankle weights, hop in the pool, and try it out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom