Used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are y'alls thoughts on buying used tanks from reputable scuba shops. The hydro is current and recently had a VIP. Its a Luxfer aluminum 80 for a c-note.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sounds like a good deal to me. Are these rental tanks that they are replacing with new ones?

Our shop is the Luxfer distributor in our area, and I know that is about what we pay for 80cuft tanks. Sounds like they are selling them at cost.

Just out of curiousity, are these standard tanks? Do they use the neutral bouyant tanks (80NB) in the US yet?

Well mebbe, mebbe not... Dolphin (800) 436-5744 is advertising AL 80's ("last year's model") at $79.99 - don't know if they actually have any (this may be a "bait and switch") but that's what's in their latest mailout.
Rick

That is, those with the "SP 6498" designation. Luxfer tanks made after 1988, or any Catalina tank which carry a different DOT number, are composed of a lead free alloy which is not subject to cracks in the neck and premature failure. Anything with a recent test and under $100 is dirt cheap.

Thanks yall...

Yes these are rentals that are being replaced. They seem to be in good condition and were made in the after 1988. The biggest concern I have is how often they were used and will they pass their next hydro in 5 years. I guess we will see. I have two. I saw the new NB80's advertised in divers direct and I almost bought a pair. Divers direct had them for $150 and they picked up ground postage. Now I can finally learn proper weighting with my own tanks. I have always had a hard time being positively boyant on my 15' safety stop. I had to hang onto the anchor line and if there was a bad chop it would shake you like a good martini

Tom

I have a few tanks fron garage sales,pawn shops and even dive shops.The best deal I ever got was 2 lp95s,iso manifold(dive-rite),and the bands for$400.I have paid as little as$50 for a 80.A recent hydro and vip add about $25 to the value.I have tanks older than me that I use as stages.As long as they pass hydro,they'll do.

The tanks for $79 bucks is a good deal! Just make sure they are including the valves in that price. If you have extras, no problem. But sounds a little low for a new tank.

Tom!

Just want to say Hiya! and have you give your wife and Diedra a hug for me.

Will check in for dinner plans with you later!

--Michael

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
What are y'alls thoughts on buying used tanks from reputable scuba shops. The hydro is current and recently had a VIP. Its a Luxfer aluminum 80 for a c-note.

Tom

Be careful, allot stores are strating to get rid of there alunumium 80cf. Make sure the tanks has a current VIP and also a VIS+ (eddy current tes),to detect SLC.

TI

Back
Top Bottom