Used Tank Market COVID Changes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I admittedly check the local used tank market far more than is fiscally healthy and have noticed that here in So Cal the used tank market has really picked up, less options for far higher prices. Outside of AL80s and LP72, all the "desirable" steel tanks for up at least $50 and usually more like $100 than I was used to seeing pre-COVID.

I think there are number of divers that are being "forced" to dive locally that were traditionally travel or warm water divers and want their own tanks.

Just curious if you have seen a change in your local used tank markets/prices?

I have seen a lot of tanks on sale all of a sudden for slightly less than what the market was asking a few weeks ago!

Interesting! Any idea why? Dive center/shop close and flood the market with their rental fleet or something?

All of the tanks that I’ve seen posted for a reasonable price (aluminum and steel) move quickly.

The tanks where people are trying to get WELL above market value just sit there. Ex. There’s a pair of PST HP120’s out of vis and hydro for $560 on Craigslist. The seller says that they’re filled and ready to go...as if that’s somehow a selling point for the tanks in question.

They’ve been listed at that price for about two months. I assume that either: 1. The person isn’t wanting to sell them that badly and isn’t willing to budge, or 2. They’re priced so high that people aren’t even bothering to make an offer.

If the price was even remotely in the ballpark, I would have made an offer. When someone has stuff priced that high, I won’t even waste my time.

All of the tanks that I’ve seen posted for a reasonable price (aluminum and steel) move quickly.

The tanks where people are trying to get WELL above market value just sit there. Ex. There’s a pair of PST HP120’s out of vis and hydro for $560 on Craigslist. The seller says that they’re filled and ready to go...as if that’s somehow a selling point for the tanks in question.

They’ve been listed at that price for about two months. I assume that either: 1. The person isn’t wanting to sell them that badly and isn’t willing to budge, or 2. They’re priced so high that people aren’t even bothering to make an offer.

If the price was even remotely in the ballpark, I would have made an offer. When someone has stuff priced that high, I won’t even waste my time.

The AL tanks out here have always moved slower I find., Outside of LP72s, which are a dime a dozen, the steel tanks are moving quick if they are reasonable. Also just seeing less pop up though. We have one notorious craigslist reseller and why anyone buys tanks from him, I don't know. Single steel tanks (used) north of $400, yeah they are usually the older Worthington or PST tanks, but that's just ludicrous pricing I think. Oh well, good side hustle for that guy.

The AL tanks out here have always moved slower I find., Outside of LP72s, which are a dime a dozen, the steel tanks are moving quick if they are reasonable. Also just seeing less pop up though. We have one notorious craigslist reseller and why anyone buys tanks from him, I don't know. Single steel tanks (used) north of $400, yeah they are usually the older Worthington or PST tanks, but that's just ludicrous pricing I think. Oh well, good side hustle for that guy.

The catch with AL tanks (around here, at least) is that they have to be priced competitively, because they’re a dime a dozen. Ex. I know that I can buy a AL80 in hydro and vis for $90 any day of the week (there’s an instructor/shop up the road that steadily replaces his “old” gear with new stuff).

There are ALWAYS at least a few out of vis and/or hydro AL80’s at $120+ for sale locally. By the time I’ve factored in the cost of driving back and forth from the dive shop twice, hydro, and vis...I could just go online and buy a new tank for roughly the same cost.

A lot of sellers don’t seem to think of that. Especially if they paid too much for the tank to begin with.

Could either be dive shops getting rid of tanks OR people out of work trying to raise some cash.

I’m sure there’s a fair bit of that. That and when I sell sporting gear, my bigger priority is unloading it to make space for ‘x’. I’d rather sell a tank now for ~$20 less to the first person that emails. I’ve known plenty of people over the years that have that approach to unloading unwanted stuff.

It seems that a lot of individuals are selling off their tanks, I had a few listed for decent prices and all of a sudden a bunch hit the market for a little less, when previously they had been selling for more than my list price. There are a lot of good deals but also a lot of ripoffs, especially pre 1990 aluminum tanks. A lot of them also seem to be coming out of the garage and are either a relative or former roommates old tanks, I picked up 2 aluminum 80’s and a steel 133 for $60 and was able to turn over the aluminum tanks already for a profit. They guy had no idea what the steel tank was and denied it was a steel even after I told him. Unfortunately when I drained and opened the steel it was full of rust and had about 2 inches of water in the bottom. I was hoping to strip and repaint it before hydro but now I am going to have to have it tumbled and hydro tested first.

Out of viz and hydro, I have to look. I'll bring along a tank to put air in them when I'm done, but it's a big gamble at a reasonable price, never mind the asking price.

Check Facebook marketplace, I picked up a pair of LP95's, $100 for the set a few weeks ago. Out of hydro, but great condition. Another $100 later for hydro, vis and fill. Probably could have gotten them serviced for cheaper, but for $200 invested I am a happy camper. A while back I scored a really clean twin set of Faber's with an isolated manifold for $120, deals are to be found out there but you have to be on the hunt and act fast.

Try and find the wife selling her husband's gear "or else".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom