Used Scuba equipment advice

What’s your thoughts on buying used scuba equipment

• No buy new as you can afford the equipment you need

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Badly” phrased poll...too limited...

#3) Buy used gear at any point in your dive career

I would check, “yes”.

I clicked yes, but I want to clarify it. Buying used is only good if you know what you are looking for. Finding the right gear at the right price can take time. I was waiting two years to find the tanks I really wanted at a price that was a bargain.

A lot of dive gear can sit in a shed or basement for years before turning up on Craig’s list. I am also not crazy about eBay because it is a dumping ground for beat up rental gear and unless you have a good understanding of what you are looking at, you can get burned. Somethings, like wetsuits can have a limited life, even hanging in a basement. Buying beginner package gear that was not top drawer to begin with and has been sitting in aunt Becky’s shed for 15 years may not be a bargain.

If you have an experienced friend that can help you find good gear, used is great. Online Companies can have great prices for gear, but a lot of dive shops may be willing to match online prices to get your business. A local dive shop may also be willing to sell you something like a regulator set from their rental inventory that has been recently serviced and that will be better than almost any other used deal. Any used gear that you are going to breath with under water will need to be serviced before you can trust it (this is an absolute must).

Don’t shop in the store and buy online. The difference in price is often negligible, and a good relationship with a retailer you trust is worth a couple of bucks. If they know you are tight for money, they may steer you to good value deals. Not all shops are good, so finding the guy that earns your business may take some time.

What seems like a steal online may end up and waste of money when you find out the hoses are rotted out the company went belly-up ten years ago (when did Dacor die?).

Used can be good or bad deals. Being new to the sport it can be hard to tell. 90% of my local Craig's list ads are junk. "I paid $2000 for all top of the line gear and letting it go for $800" is a bunch of out of date junk that was bought new in '86 and has been sitting in a box in the garage since the one trip they did to Hawaii in '87. I wouldn't trust it for anything more then something to play with in a pool. And that would be after it was went through. On a good day might actually be worth $100 just so you don't keep dunking good gear in chlorine. Or you see ads for fairly new gear with MSRP prices quoted and asking prices almost for what you could actually buy it new for. Add in are you willing to buy something that someone else has decided wasn't good enough to keep?

Brick and mortar stores are good. Most that are standing today know that the internet exists and you can buy there as well. You have to ask for the deal on pricing. It's a bit like buying a car, there is the price on the sticker and then the price you can get out the door. Don't beat up the local shop too much, remember you can't buy air on the internet. You will need to have a good reputation with your local shop. That can do wonders for little things later when it matters. I've been able to test dive gear in person after getting to know the staff. Ever wonder if that other fin style works for you? The owner loans you his pair, you try them, now you know. You are not going to get that with an e-store. That is why you NEED to get a reputation with your local dive shop.

Do I buy used? 20+ years later I still buy some used. Just bought a pair of tanks. I knew what they were, what I would be using them for, what would need to be invested in them to use them. Without knowing what you are looking at, looking for gear gets hard. There are plenty of bad choices available. I see plenty of used tanks on the market that by the time you bought it and brought it up to standards (hydro, vis, fill) you are at what a new tank would cost. Shops have used gear as well. Everything from last year's rental gear, trade ins, I even know some that will spot the bargains and snag them for a quick resell at a fair price. One thing the shops don't want is a bad reputation, they will generally avoid selling complete junk (unless that is what they are selling for the purpose of scrap metal, learning the basics of a regulator operation, art projects, etc.). But they will be specifically selling it as "junk parts", by the pound.

Even something a mundane as a wetsuit takes a bit of research. Lots of 90's 7mm (or even ¼") farmer johns are flooding the market. For one neoprene doesn't age the best. Another is the cuts of material and even the materials were not that good back then. It was the best they had, which wasn't that good. There have been multiple generations of wetsuits since then. Materials that work better, fit better, more comfortable, etc. My current super stretchy 5mm modern suit is warmer and WAY more comfortable than the rigid 7mm 2-piece it replaced. If you don't know better the 7mm looks like a warmer suit. It is way more buoyant, you will get tired more fighting the springiness of the 7mm that does not like your arms anyplace except at your sides.

I am going to say that buying local is really good. Yes, used gear can be a good deal. But you have to really know what you are looking at. and as someone just starting in the sport that is something that you won't always know. Do the best research you can, when you buy used and it doesn't work out don't fight it. That was the cost of education.

Example of a good deal -

Hog Tech 2 fins are $125 new. I got a used pair for $50 on a Facebook
scuba sale group.

When buying used fins, carefully inspect the posts the strap attaches to and the material around the posts. Avoid buying used fins that show signs of cracking, tearing, or discoloration of the plastic in this area (streaking, whitening, etc)...my experience is that other than a strap or bungee breaking (which can be fixed), post failure is the common killer of fins.

If they fit properly and the price is appealing to you then go for it...but shop around to make sure you are getting a good deal as there are lots of used fins and booties for sale out there...just look at ebay, craigslist, or even the classified section of SB. There are also good new fins out there that can be had for close to the price that some folks are asking for their used gear, so don't avoid hunting for deals on new gear too.

Good luck.

-Z

If the price is right...go for it. They'll be fine to get you going. How much is very reasonable? x < $50 for the fins and boots?

Keep in mind that boots are only ~$30-40 new. They'd have to be in great shape and VERY cheap for me to consider buying used ones.

On fins..."only 50 dives." My first set of fins (Tilos Saber) broke on dive 18. :-I $75 for the fins and $40 for spring straps and they didn't last 20 dives.

The spring straps that I bought were Sherwood (the same design that you have pictured there) and I really liked the spring straps. That's what really pissed me off about the fin breaking...I'd just bought the spring straps a few weeks earlier. I pulled them off my fins before pitching them just in case I run into someone that needs a spare or replacement strap.

There's plenty of stuff that I'd buy used. ex. Tanks, gear bag, etc.
I have more faith in stuff that has lasted awhile than in brand new stuff.

I have those fins, I bought them off craigslist for $35 bucks, but they are all black and had never been worn. The sizing is tough on them, they are 1 size bigger than they are supposed to be. So whatever you would normally wear, go down a size.

I love my sherwood fusion fins, they are huge and heavy but underwater I don't feel a thing.

Back
Top Bottom