Used Scuba equipment advice

What’s your thoughts on buying used scuba equipment

• No buy new as you can afford the equipment you need

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alvin Slovinsky

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m just getting into scuba diving and am buying used equipment as I go along would appreciate any advice on this purchase I’m looking at. Another scuba diver is sell his Sherwood SCUBA fins with only 50 dives in great shape and the boots as well is there any concern on the amount of use they have on them. Price is very reasonable as well that’s why I’m considering it.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• E7BADC23-2F41-4B0D-9021-8391638C380F.jpeg
    E7BADC23-2F41-4B0D-9021-8391638C380F.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 77
if they are the right size for you and are cheap, they should be fine to get through certification. longer term, these might not be the fins you stick with, but you at least wont be out much.

Using the search feature will yield a lot of good information. With that being said I'll chime in with my opinion.

This hobby may be one of the best hobbies in the world to take up because the abundance of high quality used equipment on the market. A lot of people have big dreams, they get certified, buy a high end kit, and after a few years life changes and they stop diving, or the bug really bites them, and they 'upgrade'.

When looking for used equipment I'd aim to pay 30%-50% of what it retails for new, ON-LINE. Look at leisurepro.com, they may be one of the cheaper on-line stores, so they'll give you a good baseline of what something sells for new.

More of my opinion...

Buy newer, current models... this isn't because a newer stuff is better, it's because it'll be easier to sell if you quit the hobby or upgrade (my opinion).

Factor in service costs... this really only relevant to your BCD and regulators. Regulator service can run upwards of $150 for a pretty mundane service... prior owner neglect can increase this number or render the regulator junk too... Buy something that looks like it was cared for, and try to find a trustworthy person when buying (there are lots of good sellers on SB in the classified section).

All and all, I love used stuff, and dive used gear almost exclusively...

Fins, boots, wetsuits, gear bags, are the easiest thing to buy used. No worry about issues you might have with things like regs or BCs.

@Alvin Slovinsky, The price you see online is not always the price you pay. If you call leisurepro they can usually offer you a much better price than listed online. Many used items I see for sale can be had for the same price brand new if you call and ask for their best price.

I have bought all my gear used. Some better deals than others. But my best advice find a local dive group that has a buy and sell on Facebook or something.

I voted yes, but I wouldn't limit that to just when starting up. Most of my stuff was bought used from the get go and I've rarely bought new since. Like buying a car, I think buying one with limited mileage is way cheaper and probably just as safe. I still use my original reg which was bought used. Have had some minimal repairs. My BC is still going, though literally falling apart. Had to patch a small leak years ago. I don't worry since 98% of my dives are very shallow. If I mostly dived deep I would've pitched it a while ago.

If the price is right...go for it. They'll be fine to get you going. How much is very reasonable? x < $50 for the fins and boots?

Keep in mind that boots are only ~$30-40 new. They'd have to be in great shape and VERY cheap for me to consider buying used ones.

On fins..."only 50 dives." My first set of fins (Tilos Saber) broke on dive 18. :-I $75 for the fins and $40 for spring straps and they didn't last 20 dives.

The spring straps that I bought were Sherwood (the same design that you have pictured there) and I really liked the spring straps. That's what really pissed me off about the fin breaking...I'd just bought the spring straps a few weeks earlier. I pulled them off my fins before pitching them just in case I run into someone that needs a spare or replacement strap.

There's plenty of stuff that I'd buy used. ex. Tanks, gear bag, etc.

There great deals out there. I got my zeagle flathead 7 reg set up with f8 octo. Single brass spg. Drysuit and bcd hose. And a set of ds4 apek with 2 Nd stages. For 350 can for both. . Sold apek for 350. Free set of regs. So look around and u can get great deals.

Back
Top Bottom