Used rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuckdiver once bubbled...
there used to be a guy named adam, that ran a business called "harboursupplies" had some military surplus rebreather bits.

I've lost contact with him, anybody heard from him, or know how to get ahold of him?
He has some stuff on E-bay most of the time .I bought some stuff from him not to long ago.
Joens

rats! I've sent a couple of messages to his aol account, with no response

(looking for some RGU bits)

thanks duncan

thanks for all the replies. I should have given some more back info on me when i posted. im 26, i have about a hundred dives, ive continued my eduction to resue diver and was taking an asstnt dm class b4 they cancelled it. im wreck and nitrox certified as well. i majored in bio/psych/pharm in college so my understanding of physics is solid. im reading mastering rebreathers now and it is very interesting. anyway, im not sayin im an expert know it all or anything, but i dont think its rocket science either- its just science. im not the jump in unprepared type of person and would DEFNTLY get rebreather certified b4 i actually dove one.
anyway, from my research i really like the inspiration but it is out of my price range. ive read that the azimuth can be converted to full ccr is this true? also , alot of people rag on the dolphin and i cant understand why, it seems like a good go between from oc to ccr. as far as the posts about oc going extinct, i really doubt that. i dont think that the ease of poppin a tank on your back and jumping in the water will be upstaged anytime in the near future.

Hi zaf88,

way to go with your inrest & research. Keep going doing it, you'll never learn enough. However, knowledge isn't the only thing. Rebreather diving isn't just science, but very much ability. The theory isn't new, nor particulary hard to understand, especially if you have a good educational foundation. It's the application of the knowledge that's important. The discipline to apply that knowledge, e.g. during your equipment checks and in emergency situations.
That's where many a RB diver has failed, and some lost their lives.
When you seek training be as diligent in researching your instructor as you are in researching the units. Don't go with the cheapest offer, eevn if it means waiting for a while longer. Go for the most experienced instructor who will give you the most time in water. Have him train you, and train yourself afterwards to the point where your actions become second nature. Keep knowing what symptoms & problems mean, how to react to them and how to prevent them in the first place. And always know your PO2 !

As for the Dolphin, I don't think it's a bad unit. It does have, however, some conceptual drawbacks. You're limited to the mixes for which you can get dosing units. Moreover, those dosing units' proper function depends on their being perfectly clean. If those small openings are obstructed you'll have a problem ! Also, the actual mix you're breathing depends to a large extend on how hard you're breathing. Excerting yourself with an active addition SCR is not the way to go. Your fitness as well as condition at the divesite will be limiting factors. Finally, and that's a Dräger-specific drawback, Dräger uses a lot of propriatory hardware such as valves etc.. Replacement/service only from Dräger/Aqualung dealers. Can be a pain.

Now let me get back to always knowing your PO2. Not only can't that be said often enough, but, because of the possible large differences in the actual breathing mix, you need to plan on monitoring equipment for it.
For the Dolphin, you can get Dräger's OXYgauge, DeltaP's VR3 and Uwatec's Aladin AirZO2 with Oxy2. The former two have one cell, the latter has two. The first is a monitor only, the latter two are computers. The VR3 has many more possibilities and is wired, the Uwatec works as a single Nitrox mix wireless computer. It was developed with the Dräger in mind. The VR3 can 'grow' from OC to SCR to CCR. The OXYgauge , imho, is more a backup for either computer.

Finally, see if you can find instructors who offer 'rebreather experiences'.
Usually you get a small lecture and some pool time. Try the Dräger, the Azi
and if you want the Yellow Turtle, but let me warn you, she'll have you hooked. Anyway, it'll give you a better idea of what works for you.

:) Stefan

And for any of them, plan to get an OC/DSV like Bob's. Major safety & conveniece improvement, worth the admission.

canuckdiver once bubbled...
rats! I've sent a couple of messages to his aol account, with no response

(looking for some RGU bits)

thanks duncan

canuckdiver he's an old salty not a computer guy. He probably looks at email once a week - best case scenario. Give it some time :) If you can't wait give him a call.

thanks DiverBuoy, just kinda wondered if he was still around, as hi site is down.

have sent mail, will just wait semi-patiently for a response, your right, it was only a few days ago :wink:

Please read carefully!! The following can only be done on a Dolphin if you use an O2 gauge, without it you will die! It is not true that with the Dolphin you can only use prescribed mixes with jets. Under mild conditions a diver will drop the loop from 8-15%, more under exertion. I use a 50% jet and adjust my mix depending on what kind of diving I do and how deep, just do the math and watch your O2. It is not true that you need 500 dives under your belt before moving to more complicated equipment. You need the ability to learn and a very good instructor, and the ability to continue to learn on your own after instruction. I have just over 400 dives, almost 200 on rebreather. I dive a Dreager Ray that I modified to take me to 150 feet, with a bailout and in a drysuit.And I have never had a jet plug, if it did, that's what the bailout is for.

I'm looking at buying a rebreather for the first time myself. I'm advanced certified, rescue certified, and have over 100 logged dives from 0 visability to 100'plus, tropical water to artic.

Ive been laboring over the decision of SCR or CCR new or used.

I finally got to spend some time talking to two navy seals about rebreathers, both are now commercial divers. They recommended I start out with a SCR and move to CCR later. I could always sell my SCR and get a good price for it then spend more money later for the CCR.

The recomendation to start on SCR was based on the fact you will be innundated with procedures that if you fail to follow can kill you. I wanted a CCR to start with and felt I could handle the responsibilities (I have always been a competent diver). Ive been reading though over the last two weeks of goofs rebreather users comonly encounter and I was surprised at how often and how silly many of them are. (Forgeting to turn the unit on). The new skills required to dive a CCR do not even cover the Deco stop skills and procedures that you will need to develop for staged deco. If you think you'll buy a CCR and never dive deep, I would say your lying to yourself. Doing such a thing without nailed down procedures really puts yourself at risk.

Most CCR's that would be worth buying are computer controled, I ve read that it is really important as a beginner to learn how to dive the CCR manually and not with the computer, this helps you devlope bail out skills to save your life. Its a personal opinion of mine that starting out with the computer control will cause you to lean on the control and fail to develop the needed skills to master the CCR, not so much because you would not try to develop the needed skills but because you will be so overcome with new diving situations that the electronic control will become a crutch to true mastery of the rebreather.

There is also the issue of price. I have yet to see a Halcyon RB80 or Inspiration used (i know they exist) and new I have seen them with training run for about $7000. A SCR like the Drager Dolphin runs about $3500 new with $500 for training.

This does not include the cost of a computer. I'm looking at the Alladin with O2 sensor about $2000. (it can also be used on OC Nitrox) and the OMS VR3 about $1300 with o2 sensor (based on my understanding can be upgraded via pin you pay for but can only work as CCR, SCR, or OC at any one time)

I personally am going to buy a used Drager Dolphin Rebreather from an Instructor (if I like the discovery dive) I would recomend that if you buy used you do it this way. I have heard several stories where a rebreather was bought on ebay or used and took in for training, the rebreather was not fit to dive and had to be re-built. The person could have bought a brand new rebreather for what he ended up paying for the used unit with repairs.

I'm also getting a deal on training, my Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox classes are being included for free and my Rebreather class is being discounted to $300, rebreather is $2500. I plan on training with the rebreather and paying in sections so that if there are any problems during training I will require them to be repaired before final payment, (it has already been rebuilt so I doubt I will have any problems)

I decided to go SCR and upgrade later to CCR. I can get comfortable mastering my rebreather skills while at the same time use the unit to develop Deco skills, deep diving skills, bailout processes. Not to metion checklists and processes to make sure the SCR is set up properly before a dive. I am told that the SCR is more forgiving than CCR for newbies.

If you decide to buy used find a dealer that will sell you a used model and throw in instruction, get several price quotes from several dealers and bargain between them (you may have to travel for the training, I was prepaired to go to miami until I found a local shop) This way you should be able to ensure the quality of the unit and get a better price.

Here is a link to an article that helped me change my mind from starting out with the CCR and instead buying the SCR first. Its only one of many but this article detailed some of the procedures you need to follow. I'm a solid diver the only thind I ever forget is to start my dive timer, if I forget to turn on my CCR I could die.

http://www.metacut.com/rebreathers/RichPyleArticle_1.htm#Search Query Form

Take a discovery dive, buy a SCR master the skills needed, get deep training then either sell your SCR or keep it, then buy the CCR. Or dont

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom