Used Perdix- what to check or ask about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A second hand Perdix is for sale locally at a really good price. It has never been in the water (so he says). Is the dive history erasable on these? Anyhow I've never bought a second hand computer and am unfamiliar with these. Is there anything I should ask about or look for specific to the Perdix? Thanks.

I don't believe the history can be erased. The dive log can be erased, but is retrievable. The Perdix has a good history of reliability and is repairable if needed. Not having to worry about internal battery health is a plus. Check out for normal bumps and bruises and make note of date of manufacture for warranty eligibility. Hard to go wrong with a Perdix. Non AI machines are generally less desirable and take a bigger resale hit than the AI. If you don't need AI you can get good deals. An almost new Perdix should come with case, accessories, and the factory QC checkoff. An original invoice is always nice.
I recently bought a slightly used Perdix AI and I am very pleased.

One other thing: Shearwater warns of possible damage from dead Alkaline Batteries if left in the Perdix for a long time. Might be worth a check.

Great info, thanks!

Turn it on, scroll through the menus. Check the dive log. If it’s AI, connect to a tank and check pressure reading. Open battery compartment and inspect for signs of corrosion and water intrusion. If you can find a pool to jump into, that would be ideal, but might not be feasible.

I have Petrel 2 and Perdix AI. They are built like tanks and don’t know of any typical problems with them. Shearwater customer service is absolutely the best if you do run into a problem.

You can do a reset to factory defaults that will erase all data on the device. I've done this on several Shearwater computers that I have sold used. I don't know of a way to see previous activity after a reset.

Every new shearwater gets a test dive to 650ft or so and that will be the only dive in the log if your computer is truly a virgin

Check the battery compartment for damage or smell from battery leakage.

Boots, screen looks good.
Pull the battery and inspect inside for signs of water damage or battery blowing up.
Pull the serial number off the info screen and send a note to Shearwater asking if there is any history with it. And when you buy it, send a note that you now own said serial number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom