Used drysuit vs new wetsuit - basic questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been planning on buying a new wetsuit in the next month. I can't help but be affected by all the positive comments made here by people using drysuits.

I checked eBay and it looks like I could get a used drysuit for the same cost that I would pay for a new wetsuit.

So I have a few questions, if anyone can comment, thanks:

1. warmth in different water temps - there are countless threads here about what wetsuit to buy, and even more replies like "in warm water, I wear a 3mm suit, but in Michigan I weart a full 7", and many others like this. With a drysuit, do you just change the amount/type of undergarments to compensate for the different water temps? Which means 'one suit fits all temps'?

2. warmth AFTER the dive - in the spring and fall, after diving with a wetsuit, you have to take it off, and until you dry off and get some clothes on, I suspect you could get a little chilled. What about with a drysuit? After the dive, you unzip, you have some undergarments on already because the day (and water) was cool, so does that mean you are 'good to go' after the dive...cause you already have clothes on?

3. care/maintenance - you are supposed to rinse the wetsuit after diving, especially after diving in salt water. I think you're supposed to rinse inside and out. What about the drysuit?

4. longer term storage - supposed you don't dive from Dec - Mar? Do you hang the wetsuit? Fold it up? What about the drysuit?

5. urinating - I have never pee'd in a wetsuit, probably because I haven't dove enough to experience the need. If I buy the new wetsuit, I would have NO plans to pee in my brand new, ankle and wrist sealed suit! But, just so that I understand how the drysuit works, it seems obvious that there would be no in-suit release of #1. Don't laugh, I just want to be sure. And please, I do NOT want to start another thread on this one! haha!

6. choice of BC - does a drysuit impact the BC choice? If I already have a standard, jacket type of BC, is that useable with a drysuit? Or does a drysuit require something totally different?

7. what keeps you warm - in a drysuit, is it the undergarments or the air that you put into the suit?

8. eBay - are they any "gotcha's" to be wary of when buying a drysuit off of eBay? Should a drysuit have the boots attached (saw one the didn't)? Should it come with a hood? Extra stuff like hoses? Gloves?

I know this alot - so thanks!

1 - Depending on drysuit type you can change the undergarments to match and dive all year round. Membrane suits are easiest in this regards, neoprene suits all depend on the suit as to what you do. Sometimes you will have no undergarments and other times you will.

2 - Sort of. You can leave and go home in them sure. But as a general rule you won't have cotton on so you're not going to be in your street clothes. Usually it's some kind of thermal underwear and you'll either undress and put the street clothes back on, or some people just go around in the undergarment. It's like a snowmobile suit in other words.

3 - Same with a drysuit, if it gets dirty you'll rinse it inside and out, normally just the outside is cleaned after the dives and the inside as needed.

4 - You store them in different ways, many membrane suits prefer to be rolled up, and some neoprene suits hang up. Do what your manual suggests.

5 - You can use depends or a P Valve.

6 - Use any type of BC you want.

7 - Undergarments, but it's because you let them loft by adding air to the suit, so I'd say both...

8 - Age of suits, holes, condition. The accessories depend on brand, I personally like dry hoods and gloves, and boots. Not all come with that. IMO if you dive dry then dive dry. However it's up to you. Many drysuits are dove with neoprene hood and gloves. Viking drysuits use a different size inflator hose, most of the others are standard. You'll need that inflator hose no matter what, it's not always included and I'd say on Ebay it rarely is.

Basically on Ebay you usually get the suit only, nothing more. What is attached mainly depends on the brand.

cummings 66 pretty much sums it up but I would just add that with a drysuit it is important to lubricate the zip after diving. They are very expensive to replace.

A drysuit will make a huge difference to you comfort level if you are doing multiple dives in cool water and cold weather.(which is anything below 60 degrees for Texan residents !)

I got a great deal on a drysuit off Ebay,but I knew exactly what I wanted.Fit is extremely important,so if you are not 100% sure of the size you need,or if you dont fit a standard size suit then Ebay may not be the best choice

8. Buying used...

The best thing about having a used drysuit (I had 2 before I bought new) is that you get a chance to learn how to find and fix leaks and change seals. :wink:

Go dry. It's inevitable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom