Used doubles setup, price in the right ballpark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnw_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a local seller who's offered a set of PST LP104 doubles, Dive Rite 300bar manifold, OMS bands, current vis/hydro and O2 clean. He's offering the set at $550, and he's firm.

I priced out the same setup new (with XS LP108s instead) and new would run about twice that.

Price about right?

Yep it sounds right. What kind of diving do you plan on doing with them.

Happy Diving

If You are in a tec class, you will need them. many divers here in the sound area always sell there doubles. Now you can utilize them in a few ways, even if not deep diving. so let the lower price be an easier hit so in a year you are not trying to sell for 1/2 the price yourself.

happy Diving

Yep it sounds right. What kind of diving do you plan on doing with them.

I'm going to be getting started in tech, for now, I'm going to be doing my normal, routine (Puget Sound - cold, dark, green water with occasional good vis) rec dives in doubles to get used to them.

Have you looked at the Scubatoys price for the set up ?
LP 108 Dual Tank Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys

They want $860.00 for the XS / Worthingtons (NEW) Not sure if they offer the 10% off on cylinders.

Thanks for the link. With shipping to me, it's still pretty close to a grand. Right now, the difference between ~500-600 and ~900-1100 is the difference between being able to buy them now or 6 months from now.

I kicked the credit habit a few years ago, and don't buy anything on credit that doesn't have wheels or a garage. :D

My only question is will you still be able to get hydros for PST cylinders in another 5 to 10 years ?

Why wouldn't I? It's my understanding that the controversy is over the PST HP "exemption" tanks. I'm not aware of any issues regarding the LP tanks.

104s are big tanks. Do you need anything that big? For starter tech dives around here, HP100s are pretty popular and a lot easier to haul up a boat ladder.

Around $500 for doubles in viz and hydro is pretty normal. If you're buying remotely and paying a lot of shipping, I'd wait and see what you can pick up locally. If the stuff isn't shipped properly, you may have to replace parts. The one set I bought from SoCal came with the bands so badly mangled by the tanks in transit that they were unsalvageable, and everything had to be re-O2 cleaned because it was packed in newspaper.

Agreed. Price is in the ballpark for local pickup. If they have to be shipped, get the seller to insure them so if they are damaged in transit, they can be repaired at minimal out of pocket to you. Are you going to be happy with the buoyancy characteristics of those tanks?

104s are big tanks. Do you need anything that big? For starter tech dives around here, HP100s are pretty popular and a lot easier to haul up a boat ladder.

You've got a point there. They're substantially heavier than the HP100s that I already have. I'm thinking that I'll be passing on these and using the HPs I already have, and maybe pick up a couple of extra tanks for singles.

Back
Top Bottom