Use of an Octo as a secondary and best Apeks first stages for twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last year I had bought a full Apeks XTX 200 set which comes with the FSR first stage, XTX 200 second stage and the XTX 50 octo.

Since I recently started journeying into tech, I am going to need to reconfigure my set. So my first question is: what are the thoughts in general of using an Octo as a secondary when diving twins? Apart from the very 'in your face' yellow colour, are there any discernible differences between the octo and a standard regulator? Obviously I will eventually get another second stage but in the mean time, would an octo do just fine?

Onto my second question. From the Apeks range of first stages, which do divers prefer to set up their twins with? I already have one FSR first stage but I am curious if for my second, if I should simply buy another FSR with the 5th port enabled (which is the most expensive first stage), or rather go for a DS4/DST/UST etc?

Although having different first stages and an octo for a secondary might look a bit messy and not necessarily be the best setup, can it work?

The XTX50 Octo is the same basic reg as the XTX50 2nd. but in yellow and will perform fine. My preference would be to add a DST with 5th. port. If you are concerned about fashion I would not be a good person to ask.

Xtx50 is fine for a backup or a primary, as long as the color doesn't bother you.

Any first stage will work. < easy answer

However, one might consider sitting down with their instructor and discussing these topics. Food for thought: the 5th port is nice, do you need sealed regulators? Piston vs diaphragm. Sealed vs unsealed. Alot is driven by the environment in which you will dive. Be it warm or cold. Silty or 100ft Vis. These are all great talking points to have with your instructor. < hard answer

Now to forewarn you, you are going to open pandoras box. Many people have differences in their own personal beliefs. I am of the: if it works for you and isn't going to kill you then have at it group. But, you will get a miriad of responses on this subject.

I would personally stay away from the ust and us4. Any of the other options are great though. Just make sure they will work with your hose routing and have fun. The journey has just begun.

Safe diving.

Although having different first stages and an octo for a secondary might look a bit messy and not necessarily be the best setup, can it work?
Do they breathe the same? If yes, then fine. If you can notice a difference on the surface, then depth will probably amplify the difference.

I'm a big proponent of using the same reg for primary and secondary positions. When you and your buddy need to use them, it's not a time to be stressed over differences in how they breathe, etc.

Xtx50 is fine for a backup or a primary, as long as the color doesn't bother you.

Any first stage will work. < easy answer

However, one might consider sitting down with their instructor and discussing these topics. Food for thought: the 5th port is nice, do you need sealed regulators? Piston vs diaphragm. Sealed vs unsealed. Alot is driven by the environment in which you will dive. Be it warm or cold. Silty or 100ft Vis. These are all great talking points to have with your instructor. < hard answer

Now to forewarn you, you are going to open pandoras box. Many people have differences in their own personal beliefs. I am of the: if it works for you and isn't going to kill you then have at it group. But, you will get a miriad of responses on this subject.

I would personally stay away from the ust and us4. Any of the other options are great though. Just make sure they will work with your hose routing and have fun. The journey has just begun.

Safe diving.
I have only ever used diaphragm regs which are sealed. Nothing against piston; I just haven't ever really gotten down to using them. I particularly like Apeks regulator performance in cold water and deep depths. And that is why I stick with them as my preferred regulator brand. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I will most likely buy another FSR. In standard configuration, the hosing can be difficult but having the 5th port open on the FSR makes all the difference.

And I will have a go at using the octo. It is only on a temporary basis. So many things I need to get for tech diving as you know, so I am just cutting corners wherever possible without compromising safety.

the xtx50 octo has a shorter exhaust tee, but other than only the color is different from the regular xtx50. Since you have a FSR, easiest option is to get a 2nd one. fifth port conversion is nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

the xtx50 octo has a shorter exhaust tee, but other than only the color is different from the regular xtx50. Since you have a FSR, easiest option is to get a 2nd one. fifth port conversion is nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.
Seeing that the price difference between FSR and DST is less than I thought it would make sense just to add another one.

Seeing that the price difference between FSR and DST is less than I thought it would make sense just to add another one.
Agreed. Thanks for the advice. The FSR routes quite nicely. Especially if the 5th port is added

I did something almost exactly like that years ago to break in to tech. Eventually I found constantly reconfiguring to go recreational diving a hassle so I run a tech rig and a rec rig. Your going probably need a deco reg too, keep that mind when juggling but it doesn't have to be expensive

I did something almost exactly like that years ago to break in to tech. Eventually I found constantly reconfiguring to go recreational diving a hassle so I run a tech rig and a rec rig. Your going probably need a deco reg too, keep that mind when juggling but it doesn't have to be expensive
I solved that by going to H-valves, same rig for both singles and doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom