USB-C power source that works with Sola dongle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got the Sola SF 2500, compatible with fast charging. I lost the original charger. Ordered a replacement, albeit a different model that's basically a USB-C charger.

Per the packaging, I need a USC-C power supply that can deliver 15VDC and 30 watts, which explains why so far it hasn't worked as I've tried it with a few of my wall plugin USB-chargers and cables, with no luck (the unit will display a red light indicating it's receiving power, but not power that is compatible with actually charging the light).

I'm looking at my USB-C power supplies and seeing things like 5V=3A, 9V=2.22A, 12V=1.67A, but I'm honestly a bit lost here even after a bit of googling. Curious if anyone knows what specs I need to look for here.

I've got the Sola SF 2500, compatible with fast charging. I lost the original charger. Ordered a replacement, albeit a different model that's basically a USB-C charger.

Per the packaging, I need a USC-C power supply that can deliver 15VDC and 30 watts, which explains why so far it hasn't worked as I've tried it with a few of my wall plugin USB-chargers and cables, with no luck (the unit will display a red light indicating it's receiving power, but not power that is compatible with actually charging the light).

I'm looking at my USB-C power supplies and seeing things like 5V=3A, 9V=2.22A, 12V=1.67A, but I'm honestly a bit lost here even after a bit of googling. Curious if anyone knows what specs I need to look for here.
If it says it needs 15VDC at 30 Watts, then it needs 15 VDC, 2 Amps. Search Amazon for "usb-c charger 15vdc 30 watts" and the first hit is exactly what you want, for $15. Look for "AmazonBasics-One-Port-Charger-Tablets-Delivery/dp/B087MFJCQ4"

If it says it needs 15VDC at 30 Watts, then it needs 15 VDC, 2 Amps. Search Amazon for "usb-c charger 15vdc 30 watts" and the first hit is exactly what you want, for $15. Look for "AmazonBasics-One-Port-Charger-Tablets-Delivery/dp/B087MFJCQ4"

This one?

If you have a Dive Rite CX2 torch, give its charging cable a try.

According to his post, he does not have a power supply that provides 15VDC at 2A. That is the likely problem, not the cable.

That won't work, that is a USB A to C cable, which only supports standard 5v charging. USB C only has been required for USB PD since the 2.0 standard, and it has been over a decade since the USB-IF provided certification for USB PD 1 charging chips.

I should hook up a charging testing to see exactly how fast the CX2 charges because based on charging speed I don't think it even supports fast charging, just standard 1A charging. Nor does the chipset seem to be smart enough to neogiate with USB PD chargers for 5v.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom