US1 entrance to Florida Keys checkpoint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
U.S. 1 to close to visitors, another virus case reported

By Timothy O'Hara Key West Citizen

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is coordinating implementation of southbound traffic stops at mile marker 112.5 on U.S. Highway 1, and on Card Sound Road, to restrict access to the Florida Keys and to reinforce the island chain’s closure to visitors and non-residents.

The measure is being implemented to limit exposure to coronavirus in the Florida Keys.

The stations are to begin operations by no later than early Friday. Only residents, property owners, and those actively involved in work in the Florida Keys will be admitted, including fuel tankers, delivery and grocery trucks.

Proof of residency can be demonstrated with a resident reentry sticker, local identification, utility bill, deed, lease or tax bill. Those actively engaged in work in the Florida Keys, such as construction workers, will need to show a letter from their employer, employee identification, a paystub, or current construction contract in the Keys. First responders, healthcare workers and military actively engaged in work in the Keys will need proper IDs.

Long delays are possible at checkpoints and officials advise not to call 911 with non-emergency questions about U.S. 1.

The Florida Department of Health in Monroe County received a lab report of positive COVID-19, coronavirus, in a 48-year-old male resident of Monroe County, according to Health Department spokeswoman Alison Kerr.

This is a travel-related case. This individual is isolated at his home and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by the Department. He is expected to make a full recovery. Monroe County has four positive cases in total, Kerr said.

Go to www.monroecountyem/covid-19 for more information about Monroe County’s response to COVID-19, Including all information on access into the Florida Keys. Residents can call the Monroe County Emergency Management information hotline at 800-955-5504.
tohara@keysnews.com

When they only have a handful of hospital beds, I'd say it might have been to late.

Hope not.

When they only have a handful of hospital beds, I'd say it might have been to late.

Hope not.
And having formerly lived in the Keys, anything serious required air transport to Miami. Luckily I'm pretty sure the hospital in Marathon is under new ownership since I lived there since it was long considered by locals as the place to go if you wanted to die (too many close calls due to human error just in my group of coworkers).

And having formerly lived in the Keys, anything serious required air transport to Miami. Luckily I'm pretty sure the hospital in Marathon is under new ownership since I lived there since it was long considered by locals as the place to go if you wanted to die (too many close calls due to human error just in my group of coworkers).
Miami ICUs are at capacity

Is that because of the quality of care in the Marathon hospital?

Michael

That is probably because of the rising wave of virus cases in south florida with the top of the wave still a few weeks away. Keep in mind that hospitals have to balance their books. Having too many empty beds and extra paid staff and unused equipment is not a good way to do that. So they do not carry much excess capacity.

That is probably because of the rising wave of virus cases in south florida with the top of the wave still a few weeks away. Keep in mind that hospitals have to balance their books. Having too many empty beds and extra paid staff and unused equipment is not a good way to do that. So they do not carry much excess capacity.
Talking to one of the officials here there is multiple issues.
With lodging and businesses closed there is no reason to encourage daytrippers
It helps with managing the resources(supermarket)
The influx of travelers who possibly could have the virus is curtailed

Talking to one of the officials here there is multiple issues.
With lodging and businesses closed there is no reason to encourage daytrippers
It helps with managing the resources(supermarket)
The influx of travelers who possibly could have the virus is curtailed

Problem with online conversations. Wookie commented on Miami ICUs. Next post I interpreted as related to Wookies. So I was commenting on why Miami ICUs would be expected to be full and getting fuller.

Back on topic mile marker 112 pretty much covers all of Key Largo and beyond coming from Miami

City of Miami just implemented a 10pm-5am curfew.

Traditionally this is the busiest time of the year for S. Florida Hospitals. Not unusual to have to wait for an ICU bed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom