US Navy Diver Starting Hulling Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDiver12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently a US Navy Diver but looking into starting a hull cleaning business this next year on the Southeastern Coast. As a Navy Diver, I have performed ship maintenance on a daily basis for almost six years, however, I am looking to obtaining more information on this business from people who are currently doing this type of work.

I would love to talk to someone that has an established hull cleaning business about; location, equipment, expenses, etc.

Thanks!

Are you talking about pleasure boats or ships?

Are you talking about pleasure boats or ships?

Actually, that's a good question Rich. I made an assumption based on the fact that the OP used the term, "hull cleaning business" which, to my mind, means servicing pleasure craft. But maybe he is looking at doing ship's husbandry. In any event, it would be nice if he'd check back in and clarify things.

Thanks for both of your replies! I'm wanting to do pleasure boats with some small ships husbandry under pleasure boats. What all equipment do you use? I have an idea but not wanting to leave anything out. What rates do you charge; by the hour, flat, or by foot? I would love to hear any other advice you have to offer on just starting up.

I'm wanting to do pleasure boats with some small ships husbandry under pleasure boats. What all equipment do you use?

:confused: "Ship's husbandry" typically refers to underwater maintenance of large commercial vessels, not pleasure craft. Are you talking about hull cleaning of pleasure craft only, or will you be looking to do actual ships as well?

Thanks! What do you think is the biggest expense per month? What type of insurance do you need to have?

What do you think is the biggest expense per month?

For me it breaks down like this:

1.- Subcontracted divers (currently have 4)
2.- Sacrificial anodes
3.- Fuel (van & boat)
4.- Insurance

What type of insurance do you need to have?

I carry $1,000,000 Ship Repairer's Liability insurance. Most marinas that have an insurance requirement will want to be named as "Additional Insureds" on your policy, which can be an additional expense.

Here's my broker:

Erin Stacker
NOVAMAR INSURANCE GROUP, INC.
120 Tustin Ave, Suite C-1135
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Office: (800) 823 2798
Direct: (949) 220-0645
Fax: (949) 335-9846
Erin@novamar.net

Back
Top Bottom