US Diver's (or similar) three window wrap around goggles for Honeymoon Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obxbride

Registered
Reaction score
I was given 2 masks that I'll hope to use on my honeymoon where we'll be in Hawaii and snorkeling. As a complete newbie I was hoping to get some info about them and some tips for how to properly care for them. I hope to learn a lot from this forum about snorkeling before my Sept Honeymoon to Lanai and Maui! I initially posted to the Fins, Masks, and Snorkels forum under equipment but they suggested that this might be a more appropriate outlet for my questions.

Personally I think they look really cool, I am pretty sure they are "vintage", and it seems as if some responders in the other forum suggested it is a US divers or Aqualung wrapround mask. They directed me to the forum question which was very helpful US Divers circa question"

2010-05-28%2010.17.39.jpg

Verbal description. Metal "casing" edges all the corners and looks to me as if the black rubber parts can be "replaced" easily if necessary. There are a few screws or nails or something holding things together. The glass is in great condition and the only markings on it say "tempered glass". I could find NO brand name or other marking on the mask itself. The broken band is labeled US AQUA SPORTS but could easily be a replacement band, and the other is missing the band. I'm going to guess that i'll need to "waterproof test" them. After I clean them up I'll probably try to bring them to a pool to test them out and make sure no "major repairs" are needed.

So a few questions I have:
1) how can I clean them properly? They were stored and are dusty/dirty and I don't want to mess them up. They are used, so I would like to "sanitize" them also to some extent.

2) Will any replacement band work", as I'll need 2.

3) How can I know if its rubber or silicone? (maybe a silly question?)

Overall I'm overly psyched, these look to me like a great piece of equipment, but I'm curious to hear from the experts!
Thanks so much in advance!!

I've owned that mask since 1977 and I still use it. It is made from neoprene rubber. A common replacement band will work. Wash it with a little Dawn dish washing liquid and it will be like new. Like any other mask, if you put it on your face, breath in through your nose and it stays on your face, it will work. When you dive it, either spit in it or use a defogger so it doesn't fog up on you. Have fun.

I like mine:
Picture2004-1-1.jpg

Here's a shot of the wraparound labeling. This masks rubber is quite perished and non divable:
Picture007.jpg

and the nose purge valve that you have to cut open (if you want the purge function, which I don't like):
Picture005.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom