US Divers manifold stem replacement question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Unfortunately I snapped the main stem on 50's vintage manifold. It was moving, but more corrosion than I anticipated and..
Does the A193 replace it ? I believe the original part no. is 0525
Store | Vintage Double Hose
I am doubting it as the newer part has the o ring mid body.
Help is appreciated.

Looking at the info I have, the part is 525-21 (there are a few other parts with 525 as the first numbers). I see the same part listed for a bunch of USD valves. The VDH page list it as the replacement for the 525-21. My GUESS is the oring was a later upgraded to help sealing. As long as the dimensions are correct and the only difference is the oring, I would give it a try, including the oring. Be sure to lube the oring a little since it's going to be sliding inside the bonnet bore.
Tom may have some info on this.

Thanks Herman for the help.
While at work today I remembered I have 2 60's era valves disassembled somewhere and may have the parts/answer.
Short answer, the A193 will not work.
Turns out I have both parts.
I am going by a photo from vdh, but if it takes a 010 oring, no go. Dimensions are too narrow. The a193 is .370". The bonnet inner diameter is .453".
There is also the issue of the face of it being too narrow when up against the bonnet stem hole.

Thank God I am a packrat (albeit somewhat organized).
Top is the original, then a193, and bottom is pure luck.
20190124_165226.jpg

It has been decades since I have worked on these valves, but if I recall correctly, the stem with the O-ring groove is for the reserve side of the valve.

The other one is for the valve itself.

Hopefully Tom will stop by and verify (or correct) this staments.

Good luck.

Yes..but it (stem with oring) appears to be a trident a193.
The parts came from valve with reserve feature.

so pennington lists on his website, that the A193 replaces USD Valve Stem Part # 0525-21.
and Fits USD Valves 0525,0530,0540

so why are you lot trying to knock the world off its axis

^lol
He also states he isn't a valve expert .
Always good to compare if you can.

This thing is 63 years old so slack is granted.
I might be imagining this, but there are more vintage regulators than vintage tanks out in the wild, particularly here. Assuming lack of care, shops upselling etc.
My shop will never see this set. Would cause too much grief.

Also, interesting to note there are no washers between both bonnets and valve (main and reserve). The reserve bonnet was buggered sometime in its life, so maybe a monkey disassembled/reassembled at some point.

Luis is correct. The stem with the O ring grove is for the second generation of USD J valves and manifolds. The brass stem is the 1st generation J stem. No O rings are used with either, just Teflon seals. There is also a difference between early 2nd generation shut off stems and later ones. Later ones use a combination of an O ring and a teflon seal and a different bonnet nut and stem. At one time USD had a retro fit kit to upgrade early 2nd generation valves comprised of a new bonnet nut, stem, teflon seal and O ring and I believe backup ring. I have some NOS first generation stems.

IMG_1506.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom