US Divers Compressor Info??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like a handy compressor. Not sure who made it but looking at the fill whip the yoke attachment looks like it was used for filling the low pressure steel 72 cubic foot cylinders. It does not have thge beefed up yoke that US Divers used for HP tanks. I would be curious how many PSI it will actually pump. I am just guessing it may be a pre-1970 compressor ? I suspect a vintage gear diver will have that model compressor in an old catalog and could give you some info on it.

Most of the old USD compressors were made in France by Luchard. It could easily date back to the early 60's, or 50's. Luchard has since been absorbed by Compair, which also owns Mako and a bunch of other old names in the compressor world. I haven't heard them making small breathing air compressors, or supplying parts for the old ones, in many years.

I can't find the pressure rating, but it's likely they were only 2300 psi or so machines.A good thing to be aware of when shopping for used compressors is that most compressors will put out considerably more pressure than they are rated for, but heat goes up as pressure does, and if they are run too high they'll eventually start to fry. So the fact that the seller says it pumped 3000 psi, or 3500, or whatever, has little bearing on its ability to deliver usable quantities of air at that pressure.

In 1964, I saw one of those in a dive shop in Marathon, Fla. It was sitting in the back room looking kinda pitiful. I mean, they are bare bones and don't seem to be anything to brag about. When they were new, they cost $450. I would surmise that they could be used at pressures up to 3000 psi in intermittant service. The Europeans always favored higher pressures than in the US civilian market. However, the contemporary, portable, US made compressors, Cornelius and Kidde (which evolved from military equipment) were also rated at 3000. Before the Alize, USD sold the Cornelius but it was more expensive. In those days, the dollar was king and an imported compressor could be had cheaply. USD might have been buying them for a 100 bucks.

I have been using a US Divers Cyclone compressor since 1968. It is a Luchard H6 which is slightly bigger (3.5 cu ft / minute at 2800 psi 3 hp electric and 5 hp gas) than the one on ebay. Judging by the weight it is probably all cast iron as is mine. They came with pretty minimal filtration, just a carbon packed tower. I have up graded it with condensators and a seive tower and aluminum frame. Parts are not available for them.
If it has seen little use it might be a decent buy at $400 but not anymore than that and just run it until it is worn out or breaks. They are pretty tuff machines.

Attachments

• Luchard H6 compressor.jpg
    Luchard H6 compressor.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,269
The Alize is 1 cfm and uses a 2hp Clinton engine. The Cyclone is in a different class.

Cost/benefit of the Alize is difficult to determine; it depends on the bidders' priorities. The Clinton engine is an antique. Parts could be hard to get for either engine or pump which might have to be regarded as throwaways. However, the Clinton had a good reputation for smooth running. If there are low hours the package could be worth a small investment.

Clinton engine list

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I don't think that is what I'm looking for. I hope to use my (eventual) compressor for years, even though the actual hours may be low. I do want something that is reliable and supportable. And safe, of course.

Waterskier1
Go check my website sheldensportinggoods.com I have several 2.5 , 4.2, 5.5 cfm compressors for sale along with boost pumps and components. These are all guaranteed and good units \. I have been in this business for over 40 years and can give you some good advice even if you don't but any of my units
Frogman62
Jim Shelden

Waterskier1
Go check my website sheldensportinggoods.com I have several 2.5 , 4.2, 5.5 cfm compressors for sale along with boost pumps and components. These are all guaranteed and good units \. I have been in this business for over 40 years and can give you some good advice even if you don't but any of my units
Frogman62
Jim Shelden
Hello Jim,I was trying to find LUCHARD H6 serial number 1464,probably from 1968/69 Parts Catalog or Repair Manual and I found your old post, may be you can help me to get some parts of this antique piece, seems to be in good shape except for the 1 st stage valves????,thanks for your time

I have not seen a LUCHARD for 20 years. I was a US Divers dealer for over 20 years (1967 to 1992) and never sold one or used one. I primarily sell rebuilt military Kidde's and Bristol 4S7 (have 100 units), a few Mako's and Bauers but usually less than K12 size. I sell 1 # 6000PSI chambers (1801 or X65240 and re-packable filter cartridges for $515 plus shipping.
Jim Shelden

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom