US Divers Compass Repairable??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxcleosam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have air bubbles in my '97 console compass. Anyone know if there is a place that repairs? or should I cut my losses and purchase on SCUBATOYS?

maxcleosam:
I have air bubbles in my '97 console compass. Anyone know if there is a place that repairs? or should I cut my losses and purchase on SCUBATOYS?
I would get a new one. Trying to repair one would be a waste of time and money.
but a few air bubbles don't affect compass performance that much. but that is a call you have to make for yourself.

Air bubbles are only a problem if they become so big that, when trapped underneath the rotating card, that they tilt it enough to stop it from freely rotating.

I played around with a Genesis compass module after having to replace it for this reason. Although a bit awkward, it was possible to drill a hole into the backside and use a syringe to inject some water into the compass. Keeping the hole at the highest point let the water and the light oil originally in the module force the air out the drilled hole. I then plugged the hole with silicone caulk. Although the compass is still working well as a handbearing compass on my sailing dinghy a few years later, I'ved never taken it diving.

In summary, it's like a lot of DIY projects. The easiest thing is to spend the $40 and buy a new module.

Thanks!!! That's what I thought.
Good idea to use as a hand compass. Maybe I'll try it and give it to my son to play around with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom