US Diver Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 US Diver steel tanks in yellow complete with black boots and J valves purchased in 1969. They have air in them and believe the last test was about 8 years ago. Not sure if the valves work properly (they turn fine and air comes out) but they are in great shape and hardly ever used since the tanks have very little to no wear on the yellow paint. I'm reluctant to hook up my old Royal Aquamaster (just brought up to date) and try them out but sure would like to. Anyone got any pointers on how to make sure they're up to snuff and usable?
Thanks

Take them to hydro shop and lds for hydro and visual.

Crack valves with a clean damp cloth held away from the outlet. Hit them with a mallet. Get two burst disc kits. Those will probably be lead filled.

Take them to hydro shop and lds for hydro and visual.

Like he said. I'm assuming they are steel. Don't dive with them until the inside has been looked at. Rust uses O2 if the inside is rusted there may not be enough O2 left in the air to support life. Less than 18% O2 and you've got trouble.

So you're recommending only doing the burst discs? Do J-Valves not need regular rebuilds, or can they not be rebuilt, etc? I'm asking because I just got a pair and I'm trying to figure out what to do about them.

Just do an O2 test, if it 20%+ dive them. You can change the burst disc if necessary when you get them requalified. If the vales are relatively easy to operate and don't leak don't worry about them, a valve never killed a diver without some human help, human forgot to open it.

Last edited:
Don't go hitting anything with a mallet!

If these tanks have had air in them the whole time, they are probably in good shape inside. If they were mine, I wouldn't worry about the valves unless they leak, they have problems turning the handle, or you see rust on the outside. Don't worry about the burst discs unless they are lead and some of the lead is protruding, or the dive shop won't service them with that type of burst disc.

The US Divers tanks were notorious for rusting under their coat if there was no galvanizing under them. If they are yellow, they may have the vinyl coating with bare metal underneath--these need to be checked out for outside rusting. It is easy to check the inside via a visual, and get them hydroed. That way, you know someone has inspected and tested them.

SeaRat

All the valve info is in the download section of Vintage Double Hose.

Back
Top Bottom