US Credit Cards on Ambergris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any problem using credit cards on Ambergris? Esp with the dive operators? Anyone experience unusual fees?

How about for paying Tropic Air at the airport in Belize City?

Visa & Master are widely but not universally accepted. Others are risky. Using a CC your bargaining options are limited, as they cost a lot for the merchant. The ideal is to bring some US cash (always accepted), some low-denomination US$ travellers' cheques, and credit cards for emergencies. Also a debit card if you need to draw cash. Tropic & Maya take cards, though Maya often gives substantial discounts (up to 30%) if you give them cash.

Belize is not a credit card society, though they are often accepted. If you want to use one check before you incur a bill, as if you can't pay by another means you will be in the wrong, not the merchant.

Thanks, Peter. I arrive in Ambergris early evening on 3/25, so my wife and I will drop luggage at Paradise Villas and walk over to town for dinner. Any recommendations? I want FRESH SEAFOOD!

I'm diving (alone, my wife doesn't dive) with Reef Adventures first thing in the morning, and then snorkeling with them (with my wife) at Hol Chan in the afternoon.

Thanks, Paul

Visa & Master are widely but not universally accepted. Others are risky. Using a CC your bargaining options are limited, as they cost a lot for the merchant. The ideal is to bring some US cash (always accepted), some low-denomination US$ travellers' cheques, and credit cards for emergencies. Also a debit card if you need to draw cash. Tropic & Maya take cards, though Maya often gives substantial discounts (up to 30%) if you give them cash.

Belize is not a credit card society, though they are often accepted. If you want to use one check before you incur a bill, as if you can't pay by another means you will be in the wrong, not the merchant.

I suggest Reef Restaurant, on Middle Street opposit Caramba's restaurant and DandE's ice cream parlour. Good value and good food, largely fish. Walk out of Paradise Villas to the street and turn left. Reef Restaurant is on the right maybe 350 yards down. Afterwards try the wares of DandE's (not on Tuesdays). There is a prettier route but this is simpler to explain first time around. For breakfast and lunch don't forget to check out Matthieu's Deli, virtually opposite the exit from Paradise Villas. All their food is good, and when they do fish you can guarantee it will be really fresh.

If Reef Restaurant is closed I'd walk on further down till you reach Elvi's Kitchen, which also does good seafood but charges more for it. I wouldn't bother with Caramba.

One of the best restaurants in town is "Red Ginger" in the Phoenix resort, adjoining Paradise Villas to the south. They have two sister restaurants further south down the beach - Caliente under the Spindrift Hotel (where the famous "chicken drop" is held) and Blue Water Grill at Sunbreeze Hotel. BWG does excellent sushi if you like that sort of thing (I don't!). And they do the best caye lime pie in town.

Thank you, Peter! I hope the Belize Tourism Ministry is paying you well for the valuable service you provide.

We really like Wild Mango's. it is right on the beach up a little from Amigos Del Mar. It is not cheap, but not that expensive. We also like the Reef and Elvi's. Fido's is fun if there is a band. The food is pretty good there, but a little expensive for what it is. The ambiance, however. cannot be beat. We also had a decent meal at the bar accross from the Wet Willy's dock. I forget the name.

The major hotels and shops will take credit cards. Your card company may charge a foreign transaction fee. Some banks do waive it. Many smaller shops and restaurants do not. Some of my best meals were in restaurants that don't take cards. You can use a card to pay your departure fee at Belize International Airport if it is not already included in your ticket. I would definitely take lots of small bills.

Any problem using credit cards on Ambergris? Esp with the dive operators? Anyone experience unusual fees?

How about for paying Tropic Air at the airport in Belize City?

I would definitely take lots of small bills.

Ditto that.

Take lots of $5s and $10s. The US dollar is welcomed and often preferred all over Belize, but the change back is usually given in Belize currency. So if you can pay with $5s and $10s you can better manage the amount of BZ currency you're going to try to dump before you leave.

The exchange rate is $2BZ to $1US, which can sometimes lead to sticker shock so be sure to ask if you're unsure.

I found the dive op and hotels don't shy away from taking credit cards. The restaurants generally do want cash. Capital One (and others) don't charge a transaction fee and you get the best exchange rate.

Does it matter which Capital One credit card you have or do all levels of Capital One Visa cards have no transaction fee charge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom