Uroxatral Beta Blocker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dr. Deco,

I've been on Uraxatrol (Alfusozin HCL) for 3 years for BPH. I am in reasonable health and exercise 3 days a week. I started diving last month, and had no difficulty in the exertion level. On one occasion, after 4 dives in one day [all of which were in profile], I was a bit light headed. After a meal, some hydration, and a bit of rest, I was fine. My guess is this was more energy, glucose, and hydration related.

Since Uroxatral is a Beta Blocker, and does affect the heart and blood pressure, is there any concern for a recreational diver? I'm on the lowest effective dosage (10mg/day). Before beginning to dive, I wasn't aware there might be contraindications, but am now concerned and want to be sure I'm not putting myself in any additional danger.

Thanks,
David

Beta blockers do increase your risk because of your reduced tolerance for exercise.

ACE inhibitors (such as Lisinopril), diuretics (such as HCTZ), and calcium channel blockers (such as Norvasc/amlodipine) are more compatible with scuba diving. DAN has a good article: DAN Divers Alert Network : Cardiovascular Medications and Diving.

You and your doctor can probably find a different medicine (or medicines) that is safer for scuba yet still controls your blood pressure.

Charlie Allen

Uroxatrol is not a beta blocker. It is an alpha blocker, which is a different animal altogether. It does not decrease heart rate, although it may affect blood pressure. It should not affect maximal exercise tolerance.

I was unable to find anything at all about the advisability of using alpha blockers while diving. I would suspect that this is not a topic about which a great deal is known. You may have to use the approach of monitoring your status on land, and doing conservative dives to begin with to see if there are any ill effects. There are rare side effects of alpha blockers which could be dangerous with diving, but again, the operative word is rare.

Uroxatrol is not a beta blocker. It is an alpha blocker, which is a different animal altogether. It does not decrease heart rate, although it may affect blood pressure. It should not affect maximal exercise tolerance.

I was unable to find anything at all about the advisability of using alpha blockers while diving. I would suspect that this is not a topic about which a great deal is known. You may have to use the approach of monitoring your status on land, and doing conservative dives to begin with to see if there are any ill effects. There are rare side effects of alpha blockers which could be dangerous with diving, but again, the operative word is rare.

TSandM.

The above poster mentioned lisinopril, And I have been and am taking 20mg a day and have 120 over 70 BP, I am just wondering why this med was discussed and what the risk may be, My DR has never seemed to have a concern.

What do you think??

Charlie, BPH is not a Blood Pressure issue... it is a prostate issue. I have no blood pressure issues, my heart is quite healthy.

TSandM... you're right, it's an Alpha blocker. Thanks for correcting me.

I spoke with a Dr. through DAN, based on the amount of time I've been on the meds, they don't anticipate any issues. They said to watch for light-headed spells after dives, and to ensure my glocose and hydration levels are well maintained.

Thanks all!!!

The above poster mentioned lisinopril, And I have been and am taking 20mg a day and have 120 over 70 BP, I am just wondering why this med was discussed and what the risk may be, My DR has never seemed to have a concern.

Hi Jim,

Lisinopril (e.g., Prinivil, Zestril) is an angiotensin-converting-enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. Side effects of this class of drugs can include mild dizziness or lightheadedness; headache; unusual fatigue or weakness; dry cough; numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, arms, or legs; nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; and rash.

Many diving medicine experts believe that ACE inhibitors are the class of choice for treating divers with HPB.

After a period on an ACE inhibitor, the patient should be aware of any continuing adverse reactions and any implications for scuba. If there are none, and the diver has received clearance for SCUBA from his cardiologist, there seems little reason for concern.

Helpful?

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Charlie, BPH is not a Blood Pressure issue... it is a prostate issue. I have no blood pressure issues, my heart is quite healthy.

TSandM... you're right, it's an Alpha blocker. Thanks for correcting me.
Saw the reference to Beta Blocker, light headedness, and BPH. In a momentary bout of dyslexia I read HBP as acronym for high blood pressure. Sorry for the confusion.

Charlie, well all make mistakes (myself first and foresmost) so no worries. Hope you have a happy holiday and are somewhere under water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom