URGENT NEWS FOR ENTRY TO GALAPAGOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Dom, I'm on Galapagos Master, afterwards about 2 weeks of island hopping planned. I ordered a 5mm shorty, but it didnt arrive in time (also, it wouldn't have eased my excessive-weight problems - cabbin lugage is now 9,5kilo - 8 is allowed according to my plane ticket, although i read somewhere that on galapagos only 5kg were allowed?.. will have to put my lights, strobe and batteries in my jacket then :D). so i'll probably rent something on the boat. why do you think it might be one of the best time to do this trip? i've been on the islands about 4 years ago, but only 6 land based dives and a total of 7 days. so i thought better now than never, and hopefully the chinese trawlers left some fish in the water.. i'll surely post a small report afterwards.

Thank you so much. About two hours ago I received my negative PCR result so I should've been fine, even if the new rules would've come to effect as of tomorrow (though results were only provided by email to me).. I'll bring my yellow vaccination passport, that should be fine too, I guess? Only problem I still have is having packed too much stuff for my 23kg baggage allowance (first time travelling with own diving equipment..) - hope the 5mm wetsuit will be sufficient for current water temperatures there :)
Not for me. I had 7mm with hood & still cold, especially in 60F (16C) water in Punta Vincente Roca to see that Redlip Batfish at 100 fsw depth.

Thanks Dan - I remember seeing the Redlip Batfish on the night dive at Wolf - also at 100ft and freezing cold - so much that I left everyone to take their photos and ascended into what felt like bathwater temperatures - I was in 5mm with polartec vest and it was August so all relative ! 7mm is what is recommended for central and western islands as temps do get a wee bit chilly but with a vest or secondary skin of some sort, you maybe cool but it won't diminish the experience :) Recent temps at western islands at surface around 70F+ and as low as 61F under the thermocline. 76+ at Darwin & Wolf.
The reason why I mentioned it was the best time to be there is that there is so much life and fewer divers there at the moment - still got 6 spaces on the GPS Master for Aug 30 so a nice small group ! Conditions have been pretty good and they have been seeing everything including all the usual charters plus friendly pilot whales at Wolf. I trust it will be an incredible trip for you.

Wow that sounds really awesome. Would be happy with schooling hammerheads and whaleshark though :D
I wonder if they will still have two guides for 10 people aboard..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom