uPSIDEdOWN pONY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
Try turning off the "CAPs lock" key, then, when you hit the shift key it won't make your intended caps be lower case, and your lower case CAPs (upper). But hey,
LOL. I think that he did it on purpose!

Kim:
LOL. I think that he did it on purpose!
i'M SURE HE DID, BUT IT WAS WORTH A LAUGH1

Uncle Pug:
you're gonna die
Aw......UP. So negative! I bet he's got a couple of spare airs in his pocket for back up as well! :D

Scubaroo:
Oh BS. You mentioned it first. I'm sure you don't need a lecture on what is or isn't hogarthian, but I stand by my position that a back-mounted pony tank wouldn't fit into the hogarthian philosophy of minimalisation and streamlining. Probably my post was badly worded and I should just have focused on the backmounted rather than a pony in general, but don't try and pass "who brought DIR into this" onto me bud.

Slightly off topic - but you might also have noticed that argon bottles have moved to either on the waist harness, or on the side of the backplate.

Tell you what, I have a business contact who's a close friend of Bill Main, he's in Floriday early January, I'll get him to ask what Bill's position is on back-mounted pony tanks :eyebrow:

Ok, you stand by your position. I stand by mine. I would be quite interested in Main's view (though not to treat his words as Gospel truth as GI and JJ's are treated by DIR advocates), since Tom Mount says in his 1993 book "Mixed Gas Diving" that back mounted ponies do have a place in "Holgarthian" {sic} configurations in open water. This text is significant because it predates the politicalization of DIR by Geroge Irvine and was written by a knowledgeable Florida caver. Of course, Mount could easily be incorrect.

Your slightly off topic comment... Are you saying they sometimes mount the argon bottle directly to the backplate? A cursury search of the WKPP gallery on www.gue.com shows nothing but argon bottles mounted upside down on the side of the left cylinder on both open circuit and rebreather units.

CRDiver:
Your slightly off topic comment... Are you saying they sometimes mount the argon bottle directly to the backplate?

You mean there is a post in this thread -on- topic?

Anyway; yes... argon bottles are mounted to the backplate most often, in such a way that they can be removed by the diver.

Spectre:

Anyway; yes... argon bottles are mounted to the backplate most often, in such a way that they can be removed by the diver.

Hmmm... I guess I've learned something today... Must be a very recent change, and interesting since attachments directly to the backplate have usually been frowned upon by DIR people... How are they mounted?

CRDiver:
Hmmm... I guess I've learned something today... Must be a very recent change, and interesting since attachments directly to the backplate have usually been frowned upon by DIR people... How are they mounted?

Never mind... Came across the answer on TDS... But the tank mounted style is apparently still being used by many WKPP members... I guess if it has been successful up to this point, there's isn't much reason to change it... And, to get back on topic, if an argon bottle is fine like this, then why isn't a pony?

Spectre:

I thought quite a few were on topic - until we started arguing about backplates and DIR vs Hogarthian.
Personally I think Ricks original post was quite informative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom