uPSIDEdOWN pONY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Swimming around the other day with my AL13cf slung pony, and I'm just not happy with the effect it's having on my trim. So, I flipped the thing over, putting the valve to my waist D ring and the tank bottom at my shoulder D ring. And, how about that? Much better trim! The bottom of those little AL tanks tend to float up and the valve-end sinks, so the weight down at my waist seems to work much better.
So, what's wrong with slinging it this way?

Rick Inman:
Swimming around the other day with my AL13cf slung pony, and I'm just not happy with the effect it's having on my trim. So, I flipped the thing over, putting the valve to my waist D ring and the tank bottom at my shoulder D ring. And, how about that? Much better trim! The bottom of those little AL tanks tend to float up and the valve-end sinks, so the weight down at my waist seems to work much better.
So, what's wrong with slinging it this way?

As my mentor in technical diving, and other well-known personalities in the field have said, "Continue to learn. Continue to experiment. Be flexible and open-minded in your diving practices. If you find an idea that you like, try it out under safe conditions. If it works safely and well for you, then use it. Being rigid in your choices simply means that you cannot grow, or learn."

I find these words work well in a lot of areas of life! :wink:

I thought of strapping mine upside down (on my back) as it would make it easier to reach the valve. But i was afraid the scuba police might see it & give me a ticket. Is there any good reasons NOT to have a pony upside down???

chris hecker:
I thought of strapping mine upside down (on my back) as it would make it easier to reach the valve. But i was afraid the scuba police might see it & give me a ticket. Is there any good reasons NOT to have a pony upside down???
I know that when it is mounted on your tank, it is a good idea to mount it valve down, so you can reach the valve. Many people do this, so you are correct.
However, I have never seen a bottle slung this way. The only reason I can think of is that it puts the blunt end facing into the swim direction, which would not be as streamline as the tapered top end.
I donno'... which is why I asked.

Of course, all this assumes that you should use a pony, which, of course, you shouldn't.

Do you need a pony?

If it is slung and the valve is down you will not be able to switch to it easily and smoothly.

If carrying a slung pony upsets your trim, you are not ready to be swimming with a slung pony. Get the trim and buoyancy NAILED first, then start adding technical equipment to your diving--and then practice with it.

thekskull

I mount mine with a ponease bottle mount on my two cam straps with the valve down. Otherwise there would be no reaching it at all. I do enter the water with it turned on.

The biggest thing I have to look out for is when taking the gear off that I dont wang the valve hard as I set it down. It is mounted high enough so that the gear can set on the primary tank and the pony valve not touch anything....but you know how it is on a rocking boat in 3 foot waves.
rich

I realise the original question was about a slung pony... but what's a pony tank got to do with hogarthian diving? Especially back mounted - the whole idea of a hogarthian rig is minimalisation and streamling - putting a line trap on your back is hardly streamlined.

Scubaroo:
I realise the original question was about a slung pony... but what's a pony tank got to do with hogarthian diving? Especially back mounted - the whole idea of a hogarthian rig is minimalisation and streamling - putting a line trap on your back is hardly streamlined.
please retract my question, statement, and comments regarding "pony tanks", I didn't realize I was in the "hogarthian" forum, I just wanted some info, sorry!!

Although my pony is tank-mounted, I use it upside down to be able to reach the valve easily. It certainly seems to make sense to me. Have used it that way for years.

Dr. Bill

I used to carry a 19cf pony upside down mounted to the "body" of a Zeagle Scout with one Fastex-ed strap, one non-Fastex strap, a bolt-snap at the neck, and a D-ring where I wanted it. It was tight to my body and rode between my arm and wing so that the first stage was virtually in my left hand. I would grab the charged second stage with my right hand while turning on the valve with my left hand. It worked great, was unobtrusive, and was easy to remove. It was not easy to un-remove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom