Upside down compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny guys. :)

I get the looking through the window and seeing the bearing of 0, as I swim due north - but I would think looking down on the compass and seeing a bearing of 180 - or some other odd angle would get confusing over a couple of turns - I'm surprised manufacturer's think the number in the window is more important than the numbers when looking down on the face of the compass.

IMO using the window is far easier unless I'm using the scooter. The Suunto MK-7 is a very nice scuba compass with easy to read marking and a good range of tilt. Combine it with the bungee mount from DSS and you've got compass gold.

You don't need the DSS mount for the SK7, just remove the bands and thread a piece of bungee through the slots in the case.

(Sorry for costing you a possible business transaction, Tobin :( )

Peace,
Greg

all sounds very confusing to me! had to get my compass out and take a look! when i look at north on the rotating bezel i get north, same in the ickle window, my recpirical is 180, i.e south! when i look east i get 090, same in the window, back on 270. like the other guy, the numbers in the little window are, well, little! i always look down at it, so much easier to read. set my bearing with the lubber line, north in the twin spikes and away we go! very useful, especially if in stoney cove! and i know instantly which bearing i need to be aiming for on the way back.

Guess this is why there are Underwater Navigation courses! It ain't as easy as it looks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom