UPS dropped my tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I got a smokin deal on 2 Faber HP100's and had them shipped UPS to me. I got them today, went to put DIN plugs in them and on one of the tanks the plug wont screw in. So after some inspecting and measuring I notice the DIN receptacle part of the valve is out of round by just about a millimeter. Also on the box there is a distinct mark that resembles the top of the tank valve. Somehow the box fell or was dropped and landed with the valve straight down. I already filed a claim but my question to you all is even though the damage is slight but enough to warrant the need for a new valve, would you have the tank hydro tested ? Any input would be helpful. THANKS

Yes, if it were mine I would hydro it. If it fails you've got another valid claim. If you wait five years and if fails you've got nada.

I experienced the same thing (steel 100, tank dropped, din threads now out of round) recently and will hydro next week.

-Bryan

I am saying no but I would recomend sending a PM to oxyhacker, the board tank guru...

Those DIN ports are surprisingly fragile and of a much softer material. Unless the impact totally mutilated the valve it's hard to imagine the cylinder being damaged. Yea, I know 1mm is a significant hit.

At this stage you have the valve off and are probably already obliged to get a local VIP so I'd do the hydro just to cover the bases. Are these new or used?

Pete

The tank is fine. The tank should not have been shipped with the valve in it. But just to be sure, drop the tanks off for filling and come back when they are filled.

Those DIN ports are surprisingly fragile and of a much softer material. Unless the impact totally mutilated the valve it's hard to imagine the cylinder being damaged. Yea, I know 1mm is a significant hit.

At this stage you have the valve off and are probably already obliged to get a local VIP so I'd do the hydro just to cover the bases. Are these new or used?

Pete

They are used, born in 08 and bought by the original owner in 09. Yeah that was my thinking since I need to get them VIP'ed anyway. The kicker is that if it failed hydro then the shipping insurance won't cover the cost for a new tank. My dad shipped them for me and I told him to up the amount but here is what he wrote in the email

"I forgot to get the extra insurance but I watched how they packed and there should not be a problem."

Go figure! That's my usual luck though ha ha. :shakehead:

The tank is fine. The tank should not have been shipped with the valve in it. But just to be sure, drop the tanks off for filling and come back when they are filled.

Yeah, the shipper should have acquired plastic tank plugs from any LDS. New tanks are shipped with them so they have plenty to hand out...

so let me get this right. So you're worried about the tank being damaged.... and possibly exploding/cracking...

You're suggesting dropping them off to get it filled, and not staying while it get's filled, and then coming back and picking it up later? (after it doesn't explode?)

what about the poor sap filling the tank? :idk:

:shakehead:

so let me get this right. So you're worried about the tank being damaged.... and possibly exploding/cracking...

You're suggesting dropping them off to get it filled, and not staying while it get's filled, and then coming back and picking it up later? (after it doesn't explode?)

what about the poor sap filling the tank? :idk:

:shakehead:

THAT is exactly what the shop monkeys get paid big bucks for.. taking risks with unknown tanks. :D:D

The tank is fine, the soft brass valve took all the abuse and absorbed the damage. As long as the neck threads are fine, i wouldn't worry at all about it.

Tanks get slammed around all the time. We dropped one a few months ago unloading a boat bending the valve and our LDS inspected (visual) the tank and installed a new valve and we were set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom