Upgrading to A6xxx. Which one is best for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jf3193

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good afternoon,
I’m researching stepping up as a photographer into a more capable unit. I’ve dove with my sealife dc1400 with 1 strobe for 10 years, and im wanting an upgrade. Mirrorless seems to be the happy spot. ( I’m afraid I’d want another upgrade with a compact system in a few years).
I’m big on value vs. latest and greatest. The Sony A6000 seems to be priced pretty decent compared to a lot of other mirrorless systems. Is there a significant difference in the various Sony A6xxx models for underwater photography? ( features that are important to bubble blowers)
I really like Sony for cameras, but am open to other suggestions. I also enjoy a more minimalist setup like I currently have ( something I can cradle in my arms as I go through swim-throughs etc. I’m not sure if that’s even an option with mirrorless.
Most of my diving is in clear FL/MX/carib waters.

any talking points would be appreciated.

For context, I shoot SONY a7r3 in Sea and Sea housing and am very happy with this setup. I don't know the A6 series, but here are some random points:
- with interchangeable lens cameras you have a much greater level of complexity and expense. Each lens requires a separate port and you have to commit to either macro or wide angle in advance of your dive or boat trip.
- a good housing will cost as much as the camera
- SONY is now on a par for quality with Canon and Nikon. The sensors, autofocus and recent lenses are class leaders. The SEL 90 macro lens in particular rivals the great lenses made by Canon and Nikon
- mirrorless cameras are on a par with DSLRs for most applications, better for some, IMHO, but there is little or no size or weight savings once you get lenses, ports, lights and a housing.
- you can get a great deal on a used package here on Scubaboard or other sites. If I were just starting with an interchangeable lens camera-, and budget was a concern, I would definitely consider a Canon or Nikon used setup in Nauticam or other quality housing.
- camera bodies are regularly upgraded by manufacturers. But quality lenses last a long time.
- I have owned several SONY cameras and like them a lot, but here are some legit criticisms:
ergonomics: they dont feel as good in the hand as some other makes. This is not an issue for underwater because its in a housing.
menus are not intuitive: the SONY menus seem to have been designed by product engineers whose attitude clearly is that you should read the f'ing manual. Other makes have a much better UX. However, most users find the few settings they need for underwater and save them to a memory button. Yes, the menus are a disaster, but fortunately you do not need to know everything thats in them.
weather proofing/durability: the battle tested Canon and Nikons seem to be built like tanks. SONY's A 9 series may be close, but again, with whatever camera you choose, you are shooting in a housing and hopefully take steps to make sure it doesnt flood.

There are a lot of great choices out there. Whichever one you make will let you make great images!

For context, I shoot SONY a7r3 in Sea and Sea housing and am very happy with this setup. I don't know the A6 series, but here are some random points:
- with interchangeable lens cameras you have a much greater level of complexity and expense. Each lens requires a separate port and you have to commit to either macro or wide angle in advance of your dive or boat trip.
- a good housing will cost as much as the camera
- SONY is now on a par for quality with Canon and Nikon. The sensors, autofocus and recent lenses are class leaders. The SEL 90 macro lens in particular rivals the great lenses made by Canon and Nikon
- mirrorless cameras are on a par with DSLRs for most applications, better for some, IMHO, but there is little or no size or weight savings once you get lenses, ports, lights and a housing.
- you can get a great deal on a used package here on Scubaboard or other sites. If I were just starting with an interchangeable lens camera-, and budget was a concern, I would definitely consider a Canon or Nikon used setup in Nauticam or other quality housing.
- camera bodies are regularly upgraded by manufacturers. But quality lenses last a long time.
- I have owned several SONY cameras and like them a lot, but here are some legit criticisms:
ergonomics: they dont feel as good in the hand as some other makes. This is not an issue for underwater because its in a housing.
menus are not intuitive: the SONY menus seem to have been designed by product engineers whose attitude clearly is that you should read the f'ing manual. Other makes have a much better UX. However, most users find the few settings they need for underwater and save them to a memory button. Yes, the menus are a disaster, but fortunately you do not need to know everything thats in them.
weather proofing/durability: the battle tested Canon and Nikons seem to be built like tanks. SONY's A 9 series may be close, but again, with whatever camera you choose, you are shooting in a housing and hopefully take steps to make sure it doesnt flood.

There are a lot of great choices out there. Whichever one you make will let you make great images!
thanks for the thoughts!!

I have an A6000 in a Nauticam Housing. I shoot almost exclusively stills.

The A6000 is a very good value. All of the A6xxx use essentially the same sensor so image quality will be relatively consistent throughout the line-up. There is no "perfect solution" and anything that any of us recommend will be a mix of opinion and compromise.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would take a serious look at the A6000 combined with the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 and the Sony 10-18mm f/4. These two lenses will give you the equivalent focal length as 15-105mm in a full frame. Additionally, if you get the Nauticam housing, the housing is a higher cost than some of the alternatives, but you can use the same lens port for both of these lenses (Dome port #36129) which will save you money on the total cost. It also satisfies one of my personal biases. I am a huge fan of Zeiss optics.

Is this the perfect solution? No. Like I said, everything is a compromise.

I have an A6000 in a Nauticam Housing. I shoot almost exclusively stills.

The A6000 is a very good value. All of the A6xxx use essentially the same sensor so image quality will be relatively consistent throughout the line-up. There is no "perfect solution" and anything that any of us recommend will be a mix of opinion and compromise.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would take a serious look at the A6000 combined with the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 and the Sony 10-18mm f/4. These two lenses will give you the equivalent focal length as 15-105mm in a full frame. Additionally, if you get the Nauticam housing, the housing is a higher cost than some of the alternatives, but you can use the same lens port for both of these lenses (Dome port #36129) which will save you money on the total cost. It also satisfies one of my personal biases. I am a huge fan of Zeiss optics.

Is this the perfect solution? No. Like I said, everything is a compromise.
Thanks! Are either one of those lens the “kit” lens?
I was looking at the 6000 from a price standpoint. It looks like it’s still a workhorse for a lot of people.

Thanks! Are either one of those lens the “kit” lens?
I was looking at the 6000 from a price standpoint. It looks like it’s still a workhorse for a lot of people.
The kit lens is a 16-50mm lens. It is actually pretty good for a kit lens. (I still use it, but I do plan on replacing it with the Zeiss 16-70.) While I really do like the Nauticam housing, you should know that there are lower cost options out there.

My recommendation would be to contact Mozaik and talk to RAN. Mozaik is a family run underwater photo retailer and Ran will take the time to talk with you to listen to your concerns and ensure that you get a system that is right for you. He might even have a deal on a system with both the camera and the housing.

The kit lens is a 16-50mm lens. It is actually pretty good for a kit lens. (I still use it, but I do plan on replacing it with the Zeiss 16-70.) While I really do like the Nauticam housing, you should know that there are lower cost options out there.

My recommendation would be to contact Mozaik and talk to RAN. Mozaik is a family run underwater photo retailer and Ran will take the time to talk with you to listen to your concerns and ensure that you get a system that is right for you. He might even have a deal on a system with both the camera and the housing.
Hoag, thanks a lot! I shoot primarily stills, and have been looking at the sea frogs line for housings. I’ll check with Mozaik also!

Hoag, thanks a lot! I shoot primarily stills, and have been looking at the sea frogs line for housings. I’ll check with Mozaik also!
A lot of people really like the Sea Frogs housing. I am, however, a bit skeptical. I am a firm believer that if something seems too good to be true then it probably is, and for me, the price on the Sea Frogs housings seem too good to be true. I am not saying that they cut corners. I am only saying that I would not feel comfortable putting my camera in one. Perhaps as a "middle ground" an Ikelite housing might be an idea.

A lot of people really like the Sea Frogs housing. I am, however, a bit skeptical. I am a firm believer that if something seems too good to be true then it probably is, and for me, the price on the Sea Frogs housings seem too good to be true. I am not saying that they cut corners. I am only saying that I would not feel comfortable putting my camera in one. Perhaps as a "middle ground" an Ikelite housing might be an idea.
Sound advice

I have dozens of dives on my Seafrog a6xxx with my a6000. The only problem I've ever had has because I ignored general maintenance and had a a small leak that thankfully pooled in the dome.

As to "too good to be true" keep in mind these are not metal housings and glass domes. They are all acrylic systems so much cheaper in cost. The upside is that savings, the downside is buoyancy. It's very positive and on it's own needs weight to make neutral. It becomes a balance of weight and floats when adding tray, arms, strobes and lights to make it both neutral and trimmed.

I can vouch for the customer service. They've sent out a redesigned back early on because of a design flaw with the original without being asked. When I ordered a vacuum tester last month they sent me the newest upgraded latches at no cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom