Upgrading Camera Rig -- choices, choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Walrod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the process of researching a new camera rig for a trip scheduled to Cozumel the first week of May. Yep, always last minute purchases seem to come up right before such trips:lotsalove:

Anyhow, I currently have a Sealife DC500 w/ strobe that I have been shooting with. I have used it for the last two years for our trips to the Cancun area. About 2000 pictures snapped with this setup. I have the notion I am at a point where I feel the need to progress into a camera setup that will allow RAW, TTL and force learning manual control.

So, with my recent research, I have come to two possible setups that I feel are comparable in features, reputation and price. They are:
Sea&Sea 1G, YS110 strobe
or
Canon G9, Ikelite Housing and DS 51 strobe

I am leaning towards the Canon route but would really appreciate input from the folks here.

Your thoughts?

I agree with alcina. G9, hands down.

G9 and DS-51 strobe, by all means. It's the exact setup I just upgraded to, so I am a bit biased. :)

Even in CA's murky waters this rig works great. Here are a couple of sample shots, one with natural light and one with the strobe, just so you know what to expect. Take a look:

Natural Light:
2396411067_197ea9ac78.jpg

With the Strobe:
2396353275_5768040792.jpg

The G9 would be my choice, too. As for the strobe, why not the DS-125?

Chris, you should buy one for your dive buddy too.
Sure, when you pick up our regs from yearly service tomorrow, just go ahead and throw one of these setups on my tab:D

G9 and DS-51 strobe, by all means. It's the exact setup I just upgraded to, so I am a bit biased. :)

Even in CA's murky waters this rig works great. Here are a couple of sample shots, one with natural light and one with the strobe, just so you know what to expect. Take a look:

Natural Light:
2396411067_197ea9ac78.jpg

Love the kelp forests!

Here is an image I shot a few years back at Catalina dive park. This is from my original camera setup, DC500.

IMG_0061.jpg

The G9 would be my choice, too. As for the strobe, why not the DS-125?

I would love the DS-125 but since I went from wanting to upgrade just my strobe [on my current SeaLife DC500] to going wild with a whole new camera setup, the additional $600 was a bit over the line right now which would have pushed me near $3K:(

Thanks for all of your input! Much appreciated!!

On Monday when I called around to speak with folks to see what was recommended between the Canon and the Sea&Sea setups. Going into these phone calls I pretty much had my mind made up for the G9, Ikelite housing and DS51. A few folks I spoke with recommended the Sea&Sea 1G mostly because of housing size when compared to the Ikelite housing for the G9. A few other features were explained and I became even more torn on which route to go with.

Tuesday, I placed the order with Marshall at Backscatter. In the end, I ended up full circle going with the G9, Ikelite housing, DS51, Ultralight arms, WA lens and short port adapter. Also got the TTL cable. Allegedly they expect housings in on this Friday and might even ship Friday or Monday. Woohoooo! We leave for Coz May 2nd, so I dont have a lot of time to mess around.

Perhaps a pool dive at Scott Riemers back yard is in order?:D:D:D:wink::wink::wink: I'll have to ask him nicely.. Maybe buy him dinner, again:wink:

In the mean time, I have ordered from Amazon a few books on UW photography and two 4g memory cards.

Very nice Chris! You made the right choice! The short port and WA lens are on my list to buy as well. But after all that money on a new camera, housing, and strobe it will have to wait for a bit.

I also wanted the DS-125, but it was a bit out of my price range as well. Luckily for both of us the DS-51 is an excellent strobe as well!

A couple of things you will notice about the strobe... On the negative side; it's beam is a bit narrow so edge lighting is a somewhat difficult, not impossible just a bit tougher. Use your diffuser. On the positive side; it gives off a "warm" light I don't often see in underwater photography. To be quite honest, even when I eventually get DS-125's I will keep the DS-51 for that alone. I'm actually curious to see what a DS-125 / DS-51 combo system would do...

Also, the strobe is tough as nails. You can feel how solid it is. You're gonna love it!

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom