Upgrade to a6400 or 6600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from a olympus to a a6400 or 6600. Looking for any users to give feedback on how they like their sony rig and use underwater. Looking to buy a sony rig with the f4 16-355 vario lens before my trip to Galapagos. Any info would be great.

16-35 f/4 is a full-frame lens; it's not particularly wide on an APS-C crop sensor - there are multiple other, much smaller and cheaper APS-C lenses that go to 16mm: 16-50mm kit lens, 16-70 f/4 Zeiss, 16-55mm f/2.8 G. If you want wide-angle on Sony APS-C, your go-to lens is the 10-18mm f/4.

I have only been in the pool with my new Nauticam NA-6400 and A6400 camera. So far so good. Everything is a compromise. So, that was the compromise I chose this time. It retains much of the portability of my FIX/S90 and has some of the DNA/engine of the full frame A7 Sony cameras.

I am a wide angle guy, so I bought the WWL-1. It is not heavy underwater and the whole rigs feels well balanced. I have two float arms and the buoyancy collar. I am using the WWL-1 with the kit lens 15-50 and the (now discontinued) Sigma 19mm (highly recommended). This gives a FOV of over 130 degrees. I also am working with my old Inon UWL100 with dome and the same kit lens 15-50mm as well as a eBay purchase Rokinon/Samyang 24mm. This gives a FOV of at least 120 degrees. Neither produce a full 180 degree fisheye but unlike a full 180 degree fisheye the corners are clean and seem well focused. Another compromise, clean corners and 130 degrees or distorted corners and 180 degrees.

I bought the TTL converter but thus far no success with that. I did get the extra battery packs. The basic rig fits in a Pelican Air 1535 carry-on case and is 21 pounds loaded. The arms and a few other bits go in my dive bag, the camera and lenses in my back pack. In the Pelican, housing NA-6400, the port and port adapter for CMC-2 and Inon, the WWL-1 wet lens, CMC-2 macro wet lens, two Inon strobes:

IMG-0235.jpg

This is the biggest sensor I could get and remain portable and somewhat affordable (that being relative as I am quite poor now). For the Pelican I will eventually upgrade the interior to the Trekpac system to allow me much more room and I am ordering a lid organizer for all the caps, cables, batteries etc.

James

Attachments

• IMG-0229.jpg
    IMG-0229.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 68

Back
Top Bottom