Upgrade from Intova IC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marano

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I currently own a Intova IC500 with underwater housing which I purchased over a year ago to do some budget underwater photography while I was snorkeling, while I have been able to get a few decent pictures with this camera I can not help but think that they could have been much better with better equipment, so I have been thinking about upgrading to a better point and shoot (the housings for DSLRs are beyond my budget plus I do not think I would ever get comfortable sticking my D5000 in water), so far the Nikon Coolpix L20 along with a Ikelite housing seems to be catching my eye along with a Sealife DC800 (I really like it's underwater correction modes), anyone have any opinions on these cameras or recommendations on something else (I'm trying to keep this purchase between $300 and $400)?

First you didn't say whether you use an external strobe.
Without added light you are very limited. I'd add a strobe or 2 to your IC500 first.
Intova makes a sweet value priced strobe ISS200.
Then if you still find your pictures not to your expectations you'll already be better equipped to make the switch to a better camera.
If you still want a better P&S I think Fuji F series cameras are highly under rated I shoot a F50fd and am very happy with it. If I were replacing it today it would be with the F200.
Fuji housings happen to be well done and reasonably priced also.

I have both an Intova and a CoolPix and there is no comparison between the quality of photo I can take using the same set up. The CoolPix blows the Intova completely out of the water.

First you didn't say whether you use an external strobe.
Without added light you are very limited. I'd add a strobe or 2 to your IC500 first.
Intova makes a sweet value priced strobe ISS200.
Then if you still find your pictures not to your expectations you'll already be better equipped to make the switch to a better camera.
If you still want a better P&S I think Fuji F series cameras are highly under rated I shoot a F50fd and am very happy with it. If I were replacing it today it would be with the F200.
Fuji housings happen to be well done and reasonably priced also.

I do not use a external strobe, since I'm snorkeling most of the pictures are taken only a few feet under water, I was under the impression that the internal flash was sufficient up to 3 or 4 feet, is this not the case?

I have both an Intova and a CoolPix and there is no comparison between the quality of photo I can take using the same set up. The CoolPix blows the Intova completely out of the water.

What model Coolpix are you using? Why did you choose the Coolpix over something like the Sealife DC800 which seems to be built specifically for underwater use?

If the internal flash is firing on your 3-4 feet deep pictures some may be overexposed and some may have excessive backscatter (some maybe both). Firing an external strobe 3-4 feet deep may still result in overexposure but the backscatter will not be so bad.

I do not use a external strobe, since I'm snorkeling most of the pictures are taken only a few feet under water, I was under the impression that the internal flash was sufficient up to 3 or 4 feet, is this not the case?

Your subjects may be at a depth of 3-4' but how far away from you.
If they are 3 feet deep and 4 feet away you are shooting through 5 feet of water.
Even at only 3 feet deep shooting through 5 feet of water this will start filtering the color. Also in water object seem closer than they really are so more likely it is even more water. Other conditions such as water turbidity also change the color and perception of distance.
Besides that as mentioned the built in flash causes backscatter. This is a condition where the particles in the water are lit up by the flash on the side directly facing the lens making those particles more obvious. Using a remote strobe offset to the side limits this problem and the exposure can be compensated by controlling the strobe intensity and using a defuser on the strobe.

Back
Top Bottom