Upgrade from Canon S100 to Sony RX100 worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a Canon S100 the last few years with a Recsea housing. Within the last year I added a macro lens and a Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobe. I shoot 95% macro and dive mostly in the Philippines (where I am currently living).

I am now considering upgrading to a Sony RX100 with the Recsea housing and am still on the fence about it due to the cost. I was hoping that some of you fellow ScubaBoard users might be able to offer up some advice. Would the cost of the camera and housing be worth it to get even better macro shots considering my current setup with the macro lens (Bluewater +7) and strobe? Should I notice significantly better macro photos with my current setup if I upgrade to the RX100?

Much thanks in advance, I would really appreciate anyone's input to help me make this decision.

Why not a g16? Is the question u should ask yourself. As u are familiar with the canon system already. Rx100 and g16 are comparable.

If your focus is macro I would not upgrade, you will need two close up lenses or a +10 to get the same magnification of the S100 and for macro the dynamic range of the Sony is not really that prominent.
If instead you wanted also to shoot wide it would be worth it.
For what concerns the G series they do well in macro but again is the same sensor so image quality is pretty much the same. The only benefit is additional zoom which means more magnification.
All in all though I would not bother

Thank you all for your input! I am going to go ahead and stick with my Canon S100 and the Sea&Sea YS-D1 strobe for now, it makes sense not to spend the money if I am mostly doing macro.

Does anyone have any thoughts on adding a second YS-D1 strobe? Shouldn't a single strobe be enough for macro or would I see a lot of benefit in adding a second strobe even for the small stuff?

Thanks again everyone!

Yeah, stick with the S100. A second strobe IMHO would be worthwhile. Although it is possible to get good shots with 1 strobe, it is often hard to get rid of annoying shadows. Two strobes will make it it a lot easier to light your subject more consistently.

Are you shooting in manual? That is key, again IMHO.

If you are talking macro two strobes make the set up more cumbersome than one, rob is correct in some circumstances you can eliminate some shadows however having recently invested in a snoot I can tell you it is just so much more interesting than your usual shots

Back
Top Bottom