Updating from Junior to normal certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganhand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm 15, and I have several different certifications that i got when i was younger. These include (junior) open water, (junior) Advanced open water, (junior) enriched air diver. I was wondering if simply ordering new cards would update the "junior" status or if i have to do something else.

I'm 15, and I have several different certifications that i got when i was younger. These include (junior) open water, (junior) Advanced open water, (junior) enriched air diver. I was wondering if simply ordering new cards would update the "junior" status or if i have to do something else.

no need to get new cards..the 'jr" status automatically no longer applies when you reach 15. spend the $ on gear instead of card.

what they ^^^^^ said. When you do your rescue diver course your c card will automatically drop the junior.

That card will be worth it's weight in gold in 20 years when some lame DM or boat operator asks to see your AOW cert.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

My son is in the exact same boat (sorry for pun) and I'm thinking the best thing is for him to do rescue this fall after he turns 15. If he wants to. You might consider that as well; you will be a better diver for it most likely.

If you don't want to do that, Padi's system will automatically drop the junior with a reprint. So you just spend the money and order a new crd. I wouldn't bother with anything except AoW though if I were you. Your eanx card has no limitations now, while the aow card says you must dive with an adult. There are misconceptions out there among dive operators though, I've found, with regard to the 'junior' and it will be worthwhile to have a nonjunior card which will last you the rest of your life.

I resently had a PADI 'junior' Rescue Diver card presented at one on the BSAC Diver Training Programme events (for Dive Leader) I run. A call back to BSAC HQ sorted it, however, any PADI professional should know to ignore the word 'junior'.

I think it's pretty cool that we're even having this discussion. 15 and headed towards the rescue class. What doors have already and will be opened up to these lucky young people.

What do you mean? What doors?

My daughter just turned fifteen and we did update her SEI Jr. AOW to AOW (and got a 2 star CMAS card to boot). We just called SEI and got the cards about a week later. There was a small fee, but it was worth it to avoid any confusion later. She also feels more grown up by dropping the Jr. off the card...

What do you mean? What doors?

I think that he means that there are so many opportunities available to today's youth that were not available to us older generation.

Take advantage of them!

Back
Top Bottom