Updating a Green Force HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A buddy of mine asked me to update his Green Force after the HID failed. Here are some pics of the build:
1. Battery can plug will be sealed
2. Complete light taken apart
3. Driver
4. Head mocked up
5. LED, reflector and driver
6. Reflector

Will be powered by a 7.4v LiIon and the GF charger's plug will be used on the new charger.

Attachments

• Battery can plug.jpg
    Battery can plug.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 176
  • Complete Light.jpg
    Complete Light.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 137
  • Head Mock Up.jpg
    Head Mock Up.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 129
  • LED Reflector and Driver.jpg
    LED Reflector and Driver.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Reflector.jpg
    Reflector.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 166
This is excatly what I'm planning to do on mine ! I have replaced my brother's HID with simply a new driver and HID once, done mine but I have trouble closing it back. Mine is an older model and has no lens cap to unscrew like yours and my bro's !
I have started to think about migrating the whole thing to a LED setup.

What LED and drive did you use ? I have a SSC9 but still looking for a driver (although I have found a possible one).

It looks like you made a special cylinder to mount the led on, I guess to also serve as the heat diffuser in contact with the lamp's body, right ?

If you have a little bit more details on the parts you have chosen and why vs other solutions you considered, I'd be very interested :)

Greenforce lamps are amongst the best ones I think, even if they are not always using the latest technology available - or if they do they are expensive. The nice thing about DIY is that we can upgrade quite easily and at much lower cost than a new head !

trappist:
I am using a Cree XML with a DX driver which will drive it at 3 amps. Yes, the cylinder is for the most part a heatsink and yes contact with body. It is a slight friction fit.

Will run on 8 18650 LiIons.

How is your lid set up that it won't close back?

Here is the finished product.

Attachments

• DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00088.jpg
    DSC00088.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 128
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom