Update on shore diving at Sunset House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was down at Sunset House today and their shore diving entry area has been torn down and is being rebuilt. A sign there says that they won't be open for shore diving again until the 22nd October, but a member of staff said that they probably had a couple of days of delay on it already.

If you are planning on doing a shore dive there next week, it would probably make sense to give them a call.

Don't they have a salt water pool as well that has an ocean entry? I've gone in that route on rougher days.

When we were there they said that there was absolutely no shore diving until the work was complete.

Soon come.

We were there tonight and it looked inaccessible from both the usual entry and from the salt water pool. I asked a bartender at MyBar "if shore diving was available?" and she said "only for resort guests" so I am not sure what really is available right now.

They are revamping the whole place. Huge effort and work going into it right now. Not sure what the confusion is. What is available right now is shore diving is for hotel guests just like they said.

Prior to this, did they historically rent tanks to people who weren't guests of Sunset House and allow shore diving there? If so, I wonder whether this is a temporary change in policy, or a long-term one.

Richard.

It is temporary. The whole place is being totally updated as it needs to be. The guy at the helm has a long history in Cayman and an incredible pedigree in diving and shipping I am not sure why there is a question. The hotel is still open for dive guests and they are still maintaining shore diving for guests but as they revamp options are limited. Pretty sure the bartender gave the correct info so there should be no surprises. For the record they are actually competitors but it totally drives me bonkers when I see posts that are misleading. They said for now shore diving is limited to in house guests. That’s what it is, what is the concern?

Yeah I agree don't go looking for or implying an issue where there isn't one. (Even in that long thread that started about shore diving and tanks I don't think there was any discussion about places not letting divers/customers in, and anyway it would be their own darn business if thats what they wanted.)

If they are doing lots of work on the place it's a good thing as it's been needed for a long time. It's a tight property in places, wouldn't be a big surprise if parking or space is even more limited during this, things are just messed up, or for whatever reason they'd like to minimize people using the facilities where they can. It seems they're doing a bit of changing tires while the vehicle is moving, always a challenge.

I was there yesterday I don't see how guests could even shore dive they had cement trucks jack hammers fork lifts workers all over the place no clear path to the water

It did need a facelift and they are doing a lot

I was there yesterday I don't see how guests could even shore dive they had cement trucks jack hammers fork lifts workers all over the place no clear path to the water

It did need a facelift and they are doing a lot
Way overdue.. It would be wonderful if they put in a few benches as well!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom