Update on Mike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2005/03/12/news/news01.txt

or

Wounded officer's recovery progresses

JASON HUNT/Press file
Carrie Kralicek and her daughter, Alexis, hug following a recent press conference in Coeur d'Alene.
By MIKE PATRICK
Staff writer
Carrie Kralicek says her husband is very grateful for support

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Carrie Kralicek sounded good on Friday.

Her husband, Michael, is getting better.

Michael Kralicek is the Coeur d'Alene Police officer who was shot in the face Dec. 28. In a hail of return fire from two Kootenai County sheriff's deputies, Kralicek's assailant, Michael Anthony Madonna, was shot to death.

While the shooting now may seem a fading memory to some, its effects live with Carrie and Michael Kralicek every day. From Craig Hospital in Englewood, Carrie called The Press yesterday, wanting to share good news with the thousands of North Idahoans who have become unofficial but heartfelt members of the Kralicek family.

She was responding particularly to a card from area resident Lester Leroy Smith, who wished the family well and included four $5 bills in hopes that the donation might help them with staggering medical costs.

"I opened his card on the airplane and it made me cry," Carrie said. "I'm sure people were wondering what I was crying about, but it touched me. I felt like I needed to hug him."

Carrie said her husband's condition is improving, slowly but ever so certainly. He has some movement in his hands and legs, she said. She described his rehabilitation at Craig as "like having a full-time job. It's all small baby steps, but it's all progress, too."

While the road ahead to full physical recovery is daunting, she described Michael's mental facilities as completely normal.

"His memory is 100 percent," she said. "He still knows everything he did before, he still has complex thoughts, and he's still so methodical."

Michael's also grateful.

"He's so appreciative of everybody," said Carrie, who, like her husband, formerly served in the U.S. Air Force. "He's beginning to understand how big this is, how much the community is behind us."

Carrie said she still struggles trying to adequately express her appreciation, but she'll keep trying, just as she did the night of Jan. 26. That evening she stood before a podium at a Coeur d'Alene fund-raiser for the family's medical expenses -- an event that raised $100,000 -- and she played a recording of Michael saying "Thank you." There were very few dry eyes then in that crowd of 1,000.

"That night was really hard for me to speak, but I wanted to reciprocate, to tell people thank you, even though those words seem so inadequate," she said Friday. "I would have rather been in my husband's room that night, but he said 'No, you need to be there.'"

Carrie Kralicek is with her husband all the time now. She and their two children live in a family unit at Craig Hospital, one of the nation's most highly regarded spinal cord rehabilitation facilities. Their days are full of hard work, but their determination doesn't waver.

"We don't know how much he'll get back and we have no idea how long it will take," she said. "But Michael and I are extremely close and always have been. We pick up where we are and move forward."

Carrie said the children are doing well, too.

"They're part of the initial horrifying experience," she said, "but they're also part of their father's healing."

The healing process appears to be working, emotionally as well as physically.

"It isn't easy, but we both feel very lucky," she said. "People ask, 'What was the worst part?' Well, the worst part never happened. My husband's alive."

But Carrie Kralicek could be even more optimistic if she were assured that no other officer would befall the fate of her husband. Michael Madonna had been arrested just days before the shooting and had attempted to grab an officer's weapon, but he was out on bail the night he shot Kralicek with a .357 Magnum hollow-point bullet.

"I just wish there was a way to prevent this from happening to somebody else," Carrie said. "That man should not have been out on bail. No matter what, that will never make sense to me."

Still, Carrie said her husband won't succumb to his circumstances.

"He's very positive and he wants to get better," she said. "He's determined someday to go back to work."

Mike Patrick can be reached at mpatrick@cdapress.com.

Snowbear:
Wow!! Talk about answered prayer :D

I am wondering about something, though.... this happened in the line of duty, right? So how come the family has medical expenses? Shouldn't worker's comp be taking care of everything?
For those that are non-believers or are just in doubt this incident should help you understand that we aren’t alone.

Mike survived 7 hours with a severed carotid artery. People go to sleep within seconds and die within minutes when the blood flow to the brain is disrupted just a small amount.

As far as the medical bills go, 99.9% will be covered but there are other expenses that will pop up as there always is. Relocating his family to Colorado is very expensive and most of that won’t be covered.

Every day when I walk out of the house and go to my patrol car I see “K-57” above my third break light. When I sit in the drivers seat, every time I look in my rear view mirror I see “K-57”. People on the street as us what “K-57” is there for so we tell them. Mike’s radio number is “K-57”.

A great reminder for us to not get complacent and to keep praying for Mike and his family.

Gary D.

"It isn't easy, but we both feel very lucky," she said. "People ask, 'What was the worst part?' Well, the worst part never happened. My husband's alive."

WOW! What courage and power that family has.

So good to see the road to recovery - thank you for keeping us posted.

Right on!

Just about to head out to work and this news has made my day! So good to hear that Mike is doing well. Geuss I better shoot a prayer up before I go to work in thanks for all the help Mike is getting!

Keep us posted Gary!

Gary D.:
But Carrie Kralicek could be even more optimistic if she were assured that no other officer would befall the fate of her husband. Michael Madonna had been arrested just days before the shooting and had attempted to grab an officer's weapon, but he was out on bail the night he shot Kralicek with a .357 Magnum hollow-point bullet.

Gary,

i continue with my prayers for this fellow officer's recovery. I also continue to wonder at the ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY of the judges in our court system.

Rob

BigJetDriver69:
Gary,

i continue with my prayers for this fellow officer's recovery...
...as do we. Thanks for the update, Gary.

Gary,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. People like Mike's wife are true heroes. I can't express the respect I have for her based on the things that have been placed here. If you see her, let her know that there are many, many people praying for Mike and for his family. Prayers work. This is proof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom