Upcoming Trip - Another request for suggested dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpfeif

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi.

My 18 year old son and I are headed to Cozumel on our first “dive trip” ever in a few weeks.

We’re both PADI OW divers. We live in Wisconsin and we try to dive when we go somewhere on vacation. Our most recent dive was last year at Key West - we dove two days - afternoon 2 tank dives. Prior to that we did 2 days diving on a trip to Puerto Morelos. We did a Cozumel dive (his first) a year before that. Before that i was the only diver, so opportunities were rare. Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, etc. So we’re casual divers - fairly inexperienced when compared to most.

We’re staying at Casa Del Mar. We don’t own gear other than mask, fins, and snorkel, so we’ll need to rent. Basically we’re happy simply being underwater. We’d like an operator convenient to where we’re staying and that could provide us varied opportunities at our skill level for the 4 days we’d like to dive while there.

I’ve read a lot of posts here, including the stickies. I have some ideas written down but the power of forums like this is asking for personal advice, so if you have any, I’d like to hear them.

And we have DAN coverage. And we won’t rent scooters.

Thanks,
Kris

I'd go with Aldora.
Agree. Lots of experienced divers prefer Aldora, but Aldora has enough boats and enough guides to group people of similar experience together. I’ve joined some of those dives when I just wanted to get in a relaxed afternoon dive or a night dive and have seen how they work with less experienced divers. They are very good with less experienced divers. The prices are higher than most others, but it’s a good value. You get bigger tanks for more bottom time, top-notch guides ( I believe they are all instructors), and good boats

We’d like an operator convenient to where we’re staying and that could provide us varied opportunities at our skill level for the 4 days we’d like to dive while there.
Most, really all, of the shops will be able to provide you with varied opportunities at whatever skill level you're at. Just let them know about your skill level and what you're looking for in terms of accommodation. You forgot to mention a private DM. heh.

As to a dive op convenient to where you are staying you have a lot of options. Staying at Casa del Mar, you could dive with their dive concierge, who's name I can never remember. You could dive with a shop that will pick you up at the CDM dock, so, any of the shops that leave from downtown or anywhere north of CDM. Lots of options that way. Most convenient, imo, would be to dive with Roberta's Scuba Shack. Technically, from the stairs in front of the CDM restaurant it might be closer to Scuba Shack's shop/dock than CDM's own dock. If you're staying at CDM, you will be able to get a locker on their dock. If you're diving with Scuba Shack, you could get a locker right at their shop/dock. You could rent gear from either.

The vast majority of my diving has been with a shop that leaves from downtown and picks me up at the CDM pier. I've been diving with Scuba Shack too. Getting on and off their boat at their shop is very easy. The CDM pier is large, and depending on the boat that you get on and the surface conditions, it can be a little tricky. Roberta and her dive shop are very easy to work with.

Have fun!

There are a lot of good choices within walking distance from Casa Del Mar. Roberta's Scuba Shack would be a great choice. As you are diving multiple days, they (or you) will store your rental gear for the next days use. (Just went back and read, completely, @nodakdive's post - so plus 1 to his post)

I linked a chart I put together which may give you some ideas of other ops nearby. Go to post 113.

Ditto on Roberta’s Scuba Shack. As you get more experienced you might prefer some other option based on your individual tastes , but they are good shop that is very convenient to CDM that should meet your current needs very well. I don’t dive with them, but based on where you are staying and your needs they are who I would use if I were you.

I would also recommend the fajitas and margaritas at Ernesto’s Fajita factory btw ( they are also across the street from CDM about 50 feet from Roberta’s )

And we have DAN coverage. And we won’t rent scooters.
:like: There are dozens of great Ops that will pick you up at your dock so you have a wide selection. I have a few other suggestions...
  • Trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
  • Hire private DMs for each newbie or two the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
  • Everyone carry SMBs and Storm whistles. Buy those.

I can also recommend Dive With Martin based on the info you've supplied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom