Upcoming Certification Q??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boingo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there. New to SB, although I've been lurking for a few months.
My wife and I plan on getting certified in May. For myself, I'd like to get cert/trained in a BP/W setup, but can't seem to find a local LDS that will do this. Does anyone know of an LDS that will cert. me in the Phoenix, or Tucson area?
I live near 83rd & Beardsley for future reference. Will definitely be looking for some new dive buddies. :cool2:

Thanks.

Hi Boingo
In the Phoenix area there is a new dive club called AZ-Divebuddies that is starting up. It is a group of independant dive instructors and a membership based club they only allow certified divers to join the club but the instructors will take on open water students. I believe one of their instructors dives BP&W and may be willing to instruct OW students using them. Worth a shot I believe they have a web page.

Contact Kris and Mindy - Welcome

They both dive back plates and wings and will train you in that configuration.

+1 for Kris/Mindy. I'm not sure if Karen Cleveland still teaches but she'd be my other choice. Vic Engdahl at El Mar is another option.

Closer to you check with Frankie at Scuba Specialties - he dives one. John Flanders at Academy of Scuba probably does also. They're the GM/Owner so know someone if they can't teach you themselves.

Have you called around or just looked at websites? BP/W training likely won't show up on most of them as a standard course - except as affiliated with an SDI/TDI course most likely. But there's likely at least one instructor affiliated with every dive shop in town that can train you. (maybe not Sport Chalet...lol)

These guys are all diving one: El Mar Diving Center - Intro to Technical Diving - El Mar is a Halcyon dealer also - and usually has one on display. They're also an SDI/TDI facility. Academy of Scuba is a TDI facility also.

fwiw, Deep Sea Supply gear is a popular option. The owner - Tobin George is on SB frequently as CoolHardware52 to answer questions. DSS has their own sub-forum in our mfr's section. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/

hth,

Last edited:
If I decide to go with the DRIS BP/W, do you recommend I upgrade to the Hollis Solo Harness & Hollis Backplate?

+1 for Kris/Mindy. I'm not sure if Karen Cleveland still teaches but she'd be my other choice.

Steve, thanks for the shout out. I don't teach anymore, never in town long enough with my day job. Have been frequenting Lake Pleasant more often though.

BP/W system is a great choice. Lots of good advice already given.

Good luck with your class Boingo, and hope to run into you and your wife at the lake.

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for the shout out. I don't teach anymore, never in town long enough with my day job. Have been frequenting Lake Pleasant more often though.

BP/W system is a great choice. Lots of good advice already given.

Good luck with your class Boingo, and hope to run into you and your wife at the lake.

Hope to run into you as well. Only a 20 minute drive to Pleasant for me, so I'm sure I'll be there every open weekend. Having female mentors for my wife would be awesome. She's a girlie-girl, so this is a big step for her.

Back
Top Bottom