Up in Cape Cod on 9/13-9/20-Where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlcz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am sure that much has been said before, but...
I will be in Cape Cod on 9/13-9/20, so my questions are:
1) I will be staying in Dennisport- nearest dive shop?
2) Any beach diving of note?
3) Boat dives (2 tank, during the week)??
Thanks,
Carl

The nearest dive shops are both in Hyannis.

Cape Dive Locker The Dive Locker is the one I go to, as they focus purely on SCUBA, and even run their own charter boat. Doesn't look like any open spots on the one charter they have scheduled while you are down. Their website lists good shore diving spots: Cape Dive Locker - scuba instruction, sales, service, rentals, travel . It isn't very deep, but Corporation Beach in Dennis is supposed to be a nice dive (if you go at high tide).

Cape Cod Sea Sports Cape Cod Sea Sports - Home is also in Hyannis.

I would definitely call The Dive Locker...they are always adding charters to their schedule. There are a lot of great wrecks around the Cape for all levels of experiece.

Sandwich Town Beach is another great shore dive. Lots of lobsters and fish. A real pretty dive sit as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Carlcz-
Try these guys here...Cape Cod Sea Sports - Home
they are located across from the Hyannis airport- owner is probably the oldest running dive shop owner in New England. They know the area well and can definitely give you what you need. If you're in Dennis, try Corporation Beach at a high tide. Rocky areas and eel grass flats. Good for spotting striped bass and smaller lobster. Sandy bottom makes it a brighter dive than other locations. It's a great dive. You'll pay for parking if you don't get there before 8am. Sandwich Town Beach is another favorite which you can dive at any cycle of the tide. Good luck and safe diving :)

Thanks folks, appreciate the info.

Also consider "Garbage Beach" (the name doesn't connote anything about the quality of the beach or the dive ;-) in downtown Woods Hole. Get there early to score a parking space in front of the beach and bring a handful of quarters to feed the meters. You've got options - to the right is a rock fishing pier (watch out for fishermen and stray lines - bring a knife in case you get snagged) and to the left is a wooden pier that can make a nice dive if there aren't any boats. It's a working harbor, so be sure to have a flag (required anyway) and DEFINITELY don't stray too far out into the channel where the Vineyard ferries go - believe me - you'll hear them when they move! But there's plenty of nice diving there. You can stay shallow or get relatively deep, depending on how far out you go.

Sandwich beach for a nice shore dive. Not deep 15-25 ft lots of fish, lobster and crabs.

Dennisport is a bit "out there" on the Cape, but if you do check out Sea Sports in Hyannis, I believe they still do pick-up dives on a regular basis....a friend of mine teaches for them and last time I talked to him, they were doing regular Wednesday night dives - not sure what the schedule is. You might google them and see what's up with that...I don't know about you, but when I'm somewhere new, it's nice to have a local to let you know about the sites....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom