Untapped gem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven Kowalski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I've been meaning to post this for a while-as I'm back from the trip over a month now! But hey..... :acclaim:

Along with my local diving club I took in a special week of diving in El Hierro, Canary Islands. It was awesome. OK, it was my first dive holiday-and I only started diving seriously this year-but even the more experienced folk were real impressed with the place and the diving.

First of all I found the setting, quiet village of La Restinga to be perfect-serene. The guys working in the Dive Centre El Submareno were great too, nice and relaxed. The dive that stood out the most was off this underwater behemoth, El Bajon, the current was strong enough here-but I saw my first turtle.....just cruising along! Very cool! Overall the visibility for diving was tremendous-I think 30 to 40 metres was the standard. Lots of trumpet fish to be seen about too.

On the night dive we came across a Ray who must've been conked out.....no matter what-he wasn't budging!

Although my mate says it doesn't really mean anything, El Hierro is a UNESCO world heritage site. I don't know if that's the reason we weren't allowed to night dive outside the harbour or not. One of the days we took in one of the hiking trails the island has to offer. The trails are steep-but the views are impressive! :shocked2:

If you can-I recommend at least a week of diving on this untapped gem of the Canaries! :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom