Unsolicited equipment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D

Rejecting Reality
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hiya. I am going to offer this thought because I answer a lot of questions every week.

For all those new divers, or those new to getting their own equipment.
I think it is a good idea to ask other divers' opinions on gear. Just remember that we all have our own point of view and biases. Not bad, just something to be noted.
I think you should really check things out beyond looking at them. I mean go check online manuals, equipment reference books, and talk to the equipment techs and shops.
Once you make a decision based on your needs, dive focus, training goals, and, of course, color preference:D, then you need to learn about your own equipment.

One of the most valuable skills you can develop as a diver is the ability to repair and service your own gear. You will be more comfortable in the water and better able to problem solve if you are intimately acquainted with your gear. Ask to watch servicing, go see your guy and buy him some beer or some treat and pick his brain. Talk to these folks here who have a surprising range of knowledge.

But most of all, don't be complacent and use gear that you don't understand. Take the time to understand it. You will be a better diver and consumer.

Okay, all done.

+1

I just bought a full set of gear from scubatoys and even before my first dive, I had done a complete tear down of my BC (Zeagle Brigade) and reassembled it. by the time I got in the water, I knew were everything was and how it worked.

Very good advice. I have to remind myself quite frequently that my own (very strong) preferences for gear are NOT everyone's. I think there are basic principles you can articulate for choosing equipment, but how those principles translate into selections for individuals can vary.

No one can do anything but profit from understanding their own equipment and learning how to do simple service and repairs, though.

And, as I learned, when you buy new gear take it home and put it on. Do some dry runs with it, get comfortable with it, learn where every D-ring is. Your first go at using your new gear shouldn't be when you get in the water, this really screwed me up a few times as I didn't do this. My new BC had a pull/dump cord built into the inflator hose, for two whole dives I was frustrated because I could never get my bouyancy right what I finally figured out in about 30 feet of water was that I kept pulling on my inflator hose a little too hard while grabbing the inflator button. OOPS! I was just straight dumping air out of my tank like that.

SO yeah, try it on, strut it around your living room take it off a few times and put it back on a few times. Even better if you have a tank handy hook it up and practice inflating and deflating your BC, get used to the feel of everything.

And, as I learned, when you buy new gear take it home and put it on. Do some dry runs with it, get comfortable with it, learn where every D-ring is. Your first go at using your new gear shouldn't be when you get in the water, this really screwed me up a few times as I didn't do this. My new BC had a pull/dump cord built into the inflator hose, for two whole dives I was frustrated because I could never get my bouyancy right what I finally figured out in about 30 feet of water was that I kept pulling on my inflator hose a little too hard while grabbing the inflator button. OOPS! I was just straight dumping air out of my tank like that.

SO yeah, try it on, strut it around your living room take it off a few times and put it back on a few times. Even better if you have a tank handy hook it up and practice inflating and deflating your BC, get used to the feel of everything.
I absolutely agree with that, but also go get in a pool with it and really use it before the sea or OW.

I guess what I really mean for my post is shown in this situation. I have divers, old seasoned divers, who have had their gear for years, have a reg act sticky on the purge button. They are clueless as to how to problem solve. I unscrew the cover ring, show them the diaphragm, remove it, check the lever, reseat it, and their reg was "fixed". This is such a simple thing, yet so many people have never taken their gear apart because they are afraid of it. Or they take other's words without first hand knowledge.

This falls under the continuing education area. Always learn more about whatever you do. This sport would have fewer misses and accidents and divers would save time and money.

I absolutely agree with that, but also go get in a pool with it and really use it before the sea or OW.

I guess what I really mean for my post is shown in this situation. I have divers, old seasoned divers, who have had their gear for years, have a reg act sticky on the purge button. They are clueless as to how to problem solve. I unscrew the cover ring, show them the diaphragm, remove it, check the lever, reseat it, and their reg was "fixed". This is such a simple thing, yet so many people have never taken their gear apart because they are afraid of it. Or they take other's words without first hand knowledge.

This falls under the continuing education area. Always learn more about whatever you do. This sport would have fewer misses and accidents and divers would save time and money.

Well unfortunately this is the case for many people. It depends on the person and isn't just isolated to diving.

I cycle and I do all my own bike maintenance. It's all self taught pretty much through tearing down my bike and rebuilding it several times. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who just take their bikes into the shop for things as simple as fixing a tube (what they do with flats in the field I have no idea).

Just the same, I do my own work on my car. As a bimmer owner, I see more than my fair share of people who just goto the dealer for work. I'd rather change my own oil than pay someone $200 to do it.

Some people just don't have the though process to really understand how things work, even if you take it apart and show it them. These people are the cash cows for LDS'. As much as I want to say these people shouldn't dive, by that thought they shouldn't drive either or do anything with any complicated device. Yeah, if I had a choice I wouldn't dive with them. But sometimes you just have to look them in the eye, tell them "You're missing out", fix it for them, and move on.

Well unfortunately this is the case for many people. It depends on the person and isn't just isolated to diving.

I cycle and I do all my own bike maintenance. It's all self taught pretty much through tearing down my bike and rebuilding it several times. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who just take their bikes into the shop for things as simple as fixing a tube (what they do with flats in the field I have no idea).

Just the same, I do my own work on my car. As a bimmer owner, I see more than my fair share of people who just goto the dealer for work. I'd rather change my own oil than pay someone $200 to do it.

Some people just don't have the though process to really understand how things work, even if you take it apart and show it them. These people are the cash cows for LDS'. As much as I want to say these people shouldn't dive, by that thought they shouldn't drive either or do anything with any complicated device. Yeah, if I had a choice I wouldn't dive with them. But sometimes you just have to look them in the eye, tell them "You're missing out", fix it for them, and move on.
True. and I do that quite often. After time and again, the same person comes to me fixing little things that they should know how to do, I start charging them. You think they'd figure it out. Some do, but most just pay it and keep coming back.

True. and I do that quite often. After time and again, the same person comes to me fixing little things that they should know how to do, I start charging them. You think they'd figure it out. Some do, but most just pay it and keep coming back.

Smile and take the money.... maybe for those people, saving time is more important, in which case it is win-win.

V.

Zen, Thank you for the advice! When I came to work this morning I started tearing down an old chrome faced Sherwood safe second that I purchased off e-bay. The old reg. was having free flow problems when the adjustment knob was less than turned all the way in. I found some sand inside the thing. Toothbrush and fresh water rinse and problem almost all the way solved. When I get home I'll take the waterpick to it and remove the other sand particles from the crannies that the toothbrush can't get to and then silicone the disks before putting it all back together.
Anyway, after cleaning the reg. I read your post and believe that there is a lot of truth in what you said. There is a feeling of self satisfaction in doing things for yourself.
Thanks to members like you and those members that post links to pages where someone can find no only new parts but manuals as well, there is a wealth of information here on SB and on the net.
I'm mechanically inclined, I can screw up anything!
But, after having sent a set of regs to a "dive shop" and paying $160.00 for having that set serviced and the set come back and still free flow, I figured I could do things myself and do as good a job or better than what the shop did.
Thank you again
Tim
Yeah, I have that much free time at work.
Don't ask, I can't tell you..........

For all those new divers, or those new to getting their own equipment.
I think it is a good idea to ask other divers' opinions on gear. Just remember that we all have our own point of view and biases. Not bad, just something to be noted.
I think you should really check things out beyond looking at them. I mean go check online manuals, equipment reference books, and talk to the equipment techs and shops.
Once you make a decision based on your needs, dive focus, training goals, and, of course, color preference:D, then you need to learn about your own equipment.

But most of all, don't be complacent and use gear that you don't understand. Take the time to understand it. You will be a better diver and consumer.

Very good advice. I have to remind myself quite frequently that my own (very strong) preferences for gear are NOT everyone's. I think there are basic principles you can articulate for choosing equipment, but how those principles translate into selections for individuals can vary.

No one can do anything but profit from understanding their own equipment and learning how to do simple service and repairs, though.

Ladies, THANK YOU!!! :thumb:

Especially, Lynne, for acknowledging that your preferences are not necessarily good for others.

There are an amazing number on this board that think once they've given an answer, we newbs should just stop asking questions.

And practicing on your gear in the pool, practicing skills and gaining familiarity with the new or reconfigured gear, contributes immeasurably to enjoyable dives in open water.

Back
Top Bottom