Unknown shrimp found on sea cucumber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about in Roatan, but in Maui the sea cucumbers have commensals in both the mouth and the anus. IIRC, one is a crab, the other a shrimp. The imperial shrimp is also known to hitch a ride either on or inside a sea cucumber.

Maybe a search for shrimp that are known commensals with the donkey dung sea cucumber might lead to an ID of your unknown shrimp.

Ya ive done that already, ive got good pics of bumblebee shrimp, that live on sea cucumbers, other than them there is no info on other creatures that reside on cucumbers that i can find.
My best guess is that its a juvenile of some other shrimp that just happened to be hanging out on the cucumber, ive seen juvi fireworms do that so...

btw, I am flying through maui in march, can you recommend some dive shops or dives to do?

btw, I am flying through maui in march, can you recommend some dive shops or dives to do?
Mike Severns Diving, out of Kihei is the dive op for people interested in marine life. The owner, Pauline Fiene is the person all of the other diver ops go to with their questions.

The signature dives are Molokini, best reached from the Kihei boat ramp, and the Cathedrals (south side of Lanai) which are best reached by using Extended Horizons, who leaves from the Mala Ramp in Lahaina.

Its a 45-60 minute drive between Lahaina/Kaanapali and Kihei, so which dives you do depend a lot upon where you are staying on the island.

I'll be in Kihei all of March, so PM me before you come and perhaps we can do some shore diving. Kidspot, who lives in Lahaina, frequently does shore dives with visitors that are staying in West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kahana, Kapalua, etc.).

Here's my review of the various Maui dive ops: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2003813-post48.html

Back
Top Bottom