Unknown Unknown Incident Orange Beach, AL 9/21/24

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

passedoutwookie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was offshore this weekend and heard the radio chatter between a dive boat and the Coast Guard. Based on what I could hear, a diver surfaced with decompression sickness symptoms. Coast Guard, Marine Police, and Fire Boats were dispatched and picked up the victim and rushed him to land where he was apparently airlifted to Springhill Hospital, which has a chamber. When they picked him up he was "conscious and responsive." I have not heard anything official about this and only know what I was able to hear on the radio.

Hoping that the individual received treatment in time and will make a full recovery. I would be interested to know the outcome and circumstances that led to the event if anyone hears.

Edit* The time from when I heard the initial call to when I saw the emergency boats pass me headed in was less than 50 minutes. I suspect the dive boat was about 20-25 miles offshore. I was 8 miles offshore when they passed me headed in. To me, that seemed like a pretty quick response and I commend the Coast Guard Sector Mobile and the other entities that participated in the extraction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom