Universal housings - welcome to the XXI century finally?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone has extensive experience with the Easydive housings? I am eying at the Sony A7II to enter the full-frame world but I definitely want to avoid the costly housing change at every camera update. Even the first round would spare me ~1k$ over any available a7II housings on the market. Besides I'd have an opportunity to test my IR-converted (~3x red sensitivity) nikon D5100 underwater which I never wanted to buy a housing for, just curious about the benefits of removing the ICF.

From the specs I see one drawback: the smaller model weighs 3kg (obviously it has to be larger than a model-specific housing). Anyway, my baggage fees won't make up the price difference of this housing vs the depreciation of 2-3 specific ones...

Last edited:
this is new to me, but the electronic control concept seems similar to what video cameras used (Sony Lanc) 20ish years ago.

i have always wondered why the still camera did not provide electronic control.

It is business: by forcing people to switch housings with every camera upgrade housing manufacturers can boost their orders. Of course there are drawbacks of an e-housing (heavier, still needs bits and pieces for a new camera), but using it for 10 years, one can save thousands.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom