Universal galvanic sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standardized batteries come in multiple voltages, capacities, sizes, and shapes. Standardized light bulbs come in multiple sizes, shapes, brightness, & light spectrums. Standardized tank valves come in different shapes, styles, widths, connections,, etc.

Standardization doesn't mean identical. Rebreather cells are more standardized than you think. :)

RIght, but standardized batteries don't come as "AA-RCA for use in RCA TV remote controls", "AA-Samsung for use in Samsung TV remote controls", etc...

So maybe the wish that I posted as the OP is more appropriate for the rebreather manufacturers than for the cell manufacturers, but I think that you get my point. And these things do evolve over time. If coax is really better than Molex, then maybe that should be the standard. Etc...

And these things do evolve over time. If coax is really better than Molex, then maybe that should be the standard. Etc...
And therein lies the rub. Jan seemed to feel the choice he made for the JJ was "the best". I'm sure most other rebreather designers also felt their cell choices were also "the best". :)

Some CCR manufacturers claim to select sensors based on tighter specs than those applied by the sensor manufacturer.
Sensors used in CCR devices are exposed to tougher conditions than those in medical devices, e.g. pO2 > 1 bar, relative moisture 100%, broadly varying temperatures. I cannot tell that all CCR manufacturers do select only the best sensors from a batch, but I can see the point to do so. Assuming that a CCR manufacturer followed that principle, he would be the single source of sensors for his CCR devices. In that case, standardization would not help.

Some CCR manufacturers claim to select sensors based on tighter specs than those applied by the sensor manufacturer.
Sensors used in CCR devices are exposed to tougher conditions than those in medical devices, e.g. pO2 > 1 bar, relative moisture 100%, broadly varying temperatures. I cannot tell that all CCR manufacturers do select only the best sensors from a batch, but I can see the point to do so. Assuming that a CCR manufacturer followed that principle, he would be the single source of sensors for his CCR devices. In that case, standardization would not help.

those are the sensors like you see on the DGX page that was linked where they have tighter starting mV ranges. I.e. instead of 8-14, something like 9-13, and bin selecting like that definitely limits supply

If you look at the big picture, cells are pretty standardised for rebreather use nowadays, bar those for the Mk16 series and some other military units.

Its the plastic carrier they are placed in, in addition to the specific connector, that different manufactures specify for their individual application based on their MOQ being sufficient to enable supply, that are somewhat variable. Mostly because this forces users to buy a specific cell type that each rebreather manufacturer likely sell themselves under their own brand.

Still pretty valid nowadays as no one else has conducted comparative testing, you can see how the various cell options use to test out at https://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_files/DV_O2_cell_study_E4_160415.pdf

If you look at the big picture, cells are pretty standardised for rebreather use nowadays, bar those for the Mk16 series and some other military units.

Its the plastic carrier they are placed in, in addition to the specific connector, that different manufactures specify for their individual application based on their MOQ being sufficient to enable supply, that are somewhat variable. Mostly because this forces users to buy a specific cell type that each rebreather manufacturer likely sell themselves under their own brand.

Right, but that's my point, the plastic case and the connector are not standardized. I don't want to build my own cells, even if the galvanic sensor inside is a de facto standard. I mean, maybe this is done just so the CCR manufacturers can get a markup, maybe it's done because the CCR manufactuers feel that their design is better. I don't know that.

Right, but that's my point, the plastic case and the connector are not standardized. I don't want to build my own cells, even if the galvanic sensor inside is a de facto standard. I mean, maybe this is done just so the CCR manufacturers can get a markup, maybe it's done because the CCR manufactuers feel that their design is better. I don't know that.

Just look at this 6 page list for unique medical sensors. We use the same sensors in industrial analyzers and some out of that list. It wouldn't change anything.
https://aii1.com/downloads/datasheet/Aii_Medical_Sensors_lowV2.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom