Unique Portable Air Compressor Like You Have Never Seen Before!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My father built and sold compressors. He loved diving in the upper midwest and wanted portable air that would pump at 15cfm. He started with an Ingersoll Rand 4R15F compressor which powered with a gas engine mounted on a trailer. He liked it, however, he had to leave the boat behind when diving. His solution was to mount the compressor in a brand new 1985 Chevrolet Suburban. He ran the compressor off the vehicle engine via PTO. What do you think?

This unique combination has been used at many large diving events through out the last many years. Some weekends we would pump up to 120+ tanks of air.

Attachments

• 20211016_161338.jpg
    20211016_161338.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20211016_161504.jpg
    20211016_161504.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 136
  • 20211016_161653.jpg
    20211016_161653.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20211016_162052.jpg
    20211016_162052.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20211016_161329.jpg
    20211016_161329.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20211016_161414.jpg
    20211016_161414.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20211016_162036.jpg
    20211016_162036.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 145
I've seen modern service trucks that have a PTO compressor. Just a regular compressor, not high pressure. But some serious CFM numbers since they are using a screw compressor. But instead of running a driveshaft like your father did they are running them hydraulically. That way the compressor can be mounted anyplace they want it and are not tied to where the PTO will reach.

I've seen modern service trucks that have a PTO compressor. Just a regular compressor, not high pressure. But some serious CFM numbers since they are using a screw compressor. But instead of running a driveshaft like your father did they are running them hydraulically. That way the compressor can be mounted anyplace they want it and are not tied to where the PTO will reach.
If I were to do something similar I might use Hydraulics. It is hard to argue with the success of this system, however, it has been incredibly reliable over the years needing little to now maintenance other than oil and filter changes.

My father built and sold compressors. He loved diving in the upper midwest and wanted portable air that would pump at 15cfm. He started with an Ingersoll Rand 4R15F compressor which powered with a gas engine mounted on a trailer. He liked it, however, he had to leave the boat behind when diving. His solution was to mount the compressor in a brand new 1985 Chevrolet Suburban. He ran the compressor off the vehicle engine via PTO. What do you think?

This unique combination has been used at many large diving events through out the last many years. Some weekends we would pump up to 120+ tanks of air.
How did he control speed?

Probably a fast idle kicker normally used to bump idle for A/C compressor loads, or a repurposed idle stop solenoid. It will get you close.

That was fairly simple. He connected a cable with handle to the accelerator foot pedal and would simple adjust the cable by pulling it. Once the engine RPM reached 2000rpm it was ready to pump.

To operate the unit you would should the 4 wheel drive into neutral. That is the shift lever that came stock with the vehicle located on the middle hump in the vehicle. You would shift from park into neutral with the shift lever located on the steering column. Then would pull the PTO control cable up that he intalled on the middle hump thereby engaging the PTO. From there you would shift shift lever on the steering column to the Drive position which would start the compressor turning. Pull the idle control cable to increase speed. You would be able to hear the transmission shift from the lower gears to high gear. Lock the idle control cable in at 2000rpms and you are pumping air. The compressor would turn at 2000rpm when run like this. That is the recommended speed for the compressor.

It will be sad to see this unit go, however, I have not used it in the last couple of years.

I have had incredible adventures with this vehicle traveling and diving across the upper midwest.

Back
Top Bottom