Union Lake Dive report (SE Michigan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well the ice cleared in many small southeastern Michigan lakes this past week, so it was time for a nice cold early season dive. Since there isn't much going on here online, and I have not seen too many non-commercial dive sites reported on, I decided to write-up a brief report on a local dive I did last Sunday.

I met up with some divers from an LDS in Farmington Hills, MI. The dive site is near a DNR boat launch at the Northwest corner of the lake. Offically, there is a $6 per day fee to park at the launch, but I don't know how many bother to pay this early in the season. Without any boats, the launch is unlikely to be patroled.

The bottom is mostly muck and weeds, but there are a few small underwater attractions, such as speed boats, linked by a couple of lines.

Fortunately this early in the season there aren't many power boats out on the lake, so if you can put up with the cold, the visibility is relatively good and you aren't likely to have boaters using dive flags as a slalom course. As an asside, I've been told that the authorities may or may not enforce dive flag violations for boats here as the dive flags can impeed navigation to and from the boat launch. The site may not be a tropical reef, but it's not too bad as a tune-up dive early in the season, before the big-lake dives are open.

Where it is:
MichSat.jpg

Getting there: The lake is somewhat near the intersections of Intestates 96, 275 & 696 with state highway 5, So I'll assume you can find that. From this intersection, head north on M5 until it dead-ends into N Pontiac Trail. Take a right onto N Poniac Trail and a Left at the first intersection (Haggerty Rd.). Take Haggerty north until it dead-ends into Richardson Road. Take a left here. A short distance later Union Lake Road is on the right. Turn right, the boat launch is about 2 miles north on Union Lake Road.

UnionLake_Sat.jpg

We decided on a relatively shallow & short dive. Entry is an easy walk off the boat launch or the grass nearby. The charts list this lake as deep as 110 feet, but this area of the lake maxes out in the 40-50 foot range. This dive (mid March) had a temp of 40F, but It likely gets a fair amount warmer by mid summer.

Photos from the dive

UnionLake_March_2010_2.jpg

UnionLake_March_2010_3.jpg

UnionLake_March_2010_4.jpg

UnionLake_March_2010_5.jpg

UnionLake_March_2010_6.jpg

Several divers arrived a bit later than the first group, so we were out of the water before they left.

UnionLake_March_2010_7.jpg

Post-dive discussion with Chris, Dave, and Aaron.

UnionLake_March_2010_1.jpg

The first time I dove at this site I couldn't find much info about it online, so here is some for those who may look into it later. As an asside, if people like these types of reports, I'll be willing to post more throughout the year.

Last edited:
Ahh, Union Lake. It's been a couple years since I was last there. Viz in the pictures looks 100 times better than when I was there. Brando and I hit 95 feet on one dive in UL.

You also gotta watch out for the DNR when entering the water. Last time I was there, the DNR gave us a warning about walking into the water through the boat ramp. We had to "stumble" into the water from shore.

Walking across the street in full scuba gear during rush hour sure is fun.

Thanks for the write up and sat pictures. Brings back memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom