Unidentified sunken cannons found in LIBYA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hitham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
we discovered seven cannons that were probably buried in the sand and got exposed due to the last storm couple of days ago.. found near a libyan city.. im hoping someone can help me identify what era they belong to and maybe what kind of a ship they're mounted on..

DSC_4879.jpg DSC_4864.jpg DSC_4903.jpg

I cant say for sure but those round flat stones are for ballast in square rigged .(etc) ships the anchor and cannons will have proof or mfg marks stamped in the metal start there ..........man am I JEALOUS of your find.........!!!!!!!

probably 1600's Dutch canons from the of the Barbary corsairs ( pirates ) the Dutch ran a large Pirate fleet in that area.

Bronze or iron? If Bronze, they are worth a bundle of money. Here's what they look like somewhat cleaned up. These are 1652 cannons from Amsterdam.
cannons.jpg

probably 1600's Dutch canons from the of the Barbary corsairs ( pirates ) the Dutch ran a large Pirate fleet in that area.
some say it cant be pirate ship since its carrying only 7 cannons.. but rather its for small commercial vessel carrying the guns for protection

Bronze or iron? If Bronze, they are worth a bundle of money. Here's what they look like somewhat cleaned up. These are 1652 cannons from Amsterdam.View attachment 403905
one of the pictures indicates its iron.. how we can tell for sure

Magnet? The three I showed you sold at auction in London for $100k each. The provenance was known, but they were sold under another false provenance. London wants them back. If you were to salvage these, make sure you know what the salvage laws are in Libya. The big collectors of bronze cannons (I will be showing yours to the largest collector in the world this afternoon) are a little gun-shy after buying them from Sotheby's and then having the crown Receiver of Wrecks decide he wants them back.

Rub the growth off of a cannon with your glove. Use a magnet and see if it sticks. I'd bet they are bronze, but then, that anchor is in amazing shape, and it's iron for sure.

The third pictures looks like a bronze canon, the Dutch had some bronze canons, and that small canon is worth some money, pirates had small boats because they are faster, it is not like the movies.

The third pictures looks like a bronze canon, the Dutch had some bronze canons, and that small canon is worth some money, pirates had small boats because they are faster, it is not like the movies.
There are only a few dozen known swivel guns in the world. The collector I mentioned has the one from the Atocha and a couple of others. Small cannons are just as valuable as 16 pounders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom