Unidentified dive gear, what is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted55

Registered
Reaction score
St. Lawrence River, Ontario, Canada (summer) and V
# of dives
Hi, I bought a used BCD and it came with this yellow thing. It seems to be a solid plastic somewhat phallic shaped thing covered in a foam rubber sleeve. At first I thought tank banger, but its too soft. Any ideas?

IMG_1998.jpg IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2004.JPG

What happens if you shake it?

Hmm, nice mystery here ! Have you actually removed the foam rubber from the inner piece? There may be some detail there we're not seeing.
Tank-banger is an obvious first thought, but aside from the fact it's too soft, it's short cord and positioning largely eliminate that likelyhood.
The yellow seems to imply that it's intended to be visible, and the foam sleeve implies a need for padding, and/or flotation ( unfortunately, neither of which bring any answers to mind,LOL!)
My curiosity is definitely piqued. Please, keep us posted!

The foam is on very tightly, I dont think it is meant to be removed. , I'm afraid of ripping it if i removed it. Its very comfortable in my hand, my friend suggested a handle of some sort. The cord appears to be nylon and very rugged. Cocking a speargun?

Not sure how it might be relevant, but is it flared equally at both ends? Also, that protruding tit that the lanyard goes through, seems like a structural weak point for something precarious like cocking a speargun.
It'll be more difficult to tell with the foam still on, but are you pretty sure the inner part isn't hollow? If so, it might possibly be one of those attention-getting rattles, with the inner ball stuck somehwhere inside.

A few things come to mind. could be a flotation marker buoy that just needs a roll of cord...Could be a float for ones keys in case of an oops on a boat. Had a few other ideas that I could just say for fun but not sure how it would be taken but I do like the takeroff post...

Maybe it's a weight

Back
Top Bottom