Unhappy with Waterproof customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maroka

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
i purchased a 5mm wetsuit three weeks ago. After two dives the knee pad stitching started fraying and the place where the optional pocket attaches started to become unglued. My dive shop spoke with the rep and they were told that they could not replace it without the company first seeing it. Two weeks later the company insisted on repairing rather than replacing it. I was told to expect it sometime after the new year. My dive shops request to replace rather than repair went on deaf ears.
all I can say is "poor customer service!" i will never buy a waterproof brand anything again. A problem after two dives called for a speedy resoloution. Making me wait while they fix the suit is just plain old poor service.

they're owned by Tusa and your LDS should have fought harder to have it replaced. Unfortunately any company will try to fix the problem before they replace it. Your LDS should have also offered to give you a loaner suit until yours came back, same thing as when your car has warranty work and the dealer gives you a rental until yours is fixed.

edit:
sorry bad mood earlier today. came off a little crass

I can see your frustration, I really can, but Waterproof can't say it is covered under warranty without seeing it, it could have been user caused damage. On something nonessential to the suit like a knee pad and pocket I can't blame them for wanting to take the 20 minutes to fix it instead of replace the suit. I'm sure if it was a main seam on the suit they would have replaced it with no questions asked *I have heard of at least two lemons that came from Waterproof where the main seams weren't closed properly and they replaced the suit with no questions asked*.

The bigger issue is why your shop isn't giving you the support you deserve, they should have at least offered you a free rental wetsuit until yours came back. Some of the shops that I have worked with when situations like this come up will give you a new suit, and when the fixed one comes back it gets added to their rental fleet. That would have been a better customer support situation from your LDS and frankly I'd be more upset with them than I would the manufacturer. Not sure what you paid for it, but if it was the full $400 ish they charge for them, the shop makes more money than Waterproof does on the suit. The shop is buying them for around $200 and giving them a 100% markup which is standard practice, Waterproof makes a much more realistic margin on their products and can't afford to just outright replace every slight manufacturing defect that comes up. This is a slight qaqc problem not a major defect in the suit.

Last edited:
Waterproof brand is distributed by TUSA. My wife and I each have a 5mm & a 3mm waterproof wetsuit. I have had no issues with either of mine, but the wife has had similar issues to yours with her 3mm. Last spring in Cozumel, 2013, on her first dive with the 3mm, the knee pads were coming off. We were diving with our LDS and they made a phone call, and we were told that Waterproof had some issues with the kneepads, and to send the suit back once we returned. They sent us a new suit. I think that there may be some posts on the Waterproof forum about this issue.

Thanks for the feedback. As a note my LDS rents only 3.5's which is what I own and use for the spring and fall. They would have happily loaned me a wetsuit if they had it in stock.

As a follow up. My dive shop placed another call and with much discussion, Waterproof replaced my suit. Hopefully this one stays intact for more than a couple of dives.

I, too, am disappointed with their CS. I have a 2.5mm shorty that is 5 months old and has maybe 25 dives on it. The teeth on the zipper are coming off and the zipper pull totally came off of the suit. I called and spoke with Josh at Waterproof, and for reasons beyond my control, I can't return it to the LDS where purchased, and for the same reason I don't have the receipt. Josh said he would look into it and call me back. That was 5 days ago, and I have heard nothing as of today. Guess I will be diving in my 12 yr old Akona in Cozumel next week, which is in great shape for its age and number of dives (well over 400).

I have the same issue with Waterproof customer service. I bought a pair of 6.5 mm boots, after about 12 months the soles split along the tread pattern which is like corrugated pattern. I bought a second pair and they did the same after about 9 months. I sent a letter to Waterproof and advised them they have an issue with their design. The corrugated tread pattern lends itself to splitting in the trench of the corrugations. Other manufacturers used dimpling, I suspect to prevent the sole splitting. I have received nothing back from them and that was 2 years ago. I spoke to my LDS and they harassed the local importer who gave me another pair free. As far as Water proof well they did nothing for me and failed to simply reply that the issue was noted or any response at all. I wont be buying their boots again ever. The pity of it is that the boots fit fine and are very comfortable to use, but just have this failure point.

Some manufacturers have great marketing but poor products and quality. While others have poor marketing but great products and quality. Knowing the difference between the two is what a smart consumer is all about.

Some manufacturers have great marketing but poor products and quality. While others have poor marketing but great products and quality. Knowing the difference between the two is what a smart consumer is all about.
Unfortunately, until you have a problem, you never deal with customer service, so until you do, you do not know the quality of said customer service. Sort of a catch 22. However, obviously from the posts here, WATERPROOF leaves a lot to be desired. Interesting that out of 7 posts, 3 are from dive professionals. WATERPROOF, are you listening? Obviously not. I really like their drysuits, but there is no way I would give my hard earned $ to a company like this. BTW, I'm not really fond of TUSA products either, who seems to be the parent of WATERPROOF.

As of today, no word from Waterproof. Totally unacceptable. Bought a Henderson, no problems with it, fits and works flawlessly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom