Unhappy with Ranger 44lb bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 2008 Ranger (LTD) with the standard 44lb bladder. I had been diving with an older Oceanic Chute3 back inflate BCD. I love the fit and feel of the Ranger much more and the weight integration is perfect, however I am not to thrilled with the wing.

Specifically, it traps air and the shoulder and lower dumps are practically unusable. My feeling is that the wing is too big for the single tank diving I'm doing and I am really not needing as much air as this bladder would vent easily.

I had no problems dumping from the Oceanic and I am wondering if the 34lb Zeagle wing would work any better for me on my Ranger.

Is the 34lb Ranger wing a two piece, or a single bladder like on my GF's Lazer? I don't think that the two piece bladder is such a great idea. There is no way to know what is going on inside "the bag".

I am not thrilled with purchasing a new $250 wing though...:shakehead:

Thanks in advance!

FYI: I believe Scuba Toys was selling a Ranger with a smaller bladder (35lbs) from the Zeagle Escape and called it the Brigade.

I know. But, I don't really want to replace the whole thing. And I think that the Brigade has a bungied wing without winglets (or whatever the little flaps that clip on the harness are called), not that that really matters. Actually, now that I think about it the Lazer has a bungied wing with winglets.

I believe that the two piece bladder is the real problem. The inner bladder creates air pockets that can't find their way to the shoulder or lower dumps. And the lower dumps are facing down as opposed to facing up as on the Lazer. That also is problematic as there is really no chance to dump unless you are totally inverted.

You can swap the bladders around as you like, the smaller bladders are single layer as opposed to the double layer construction of the Ranger. While dropping size, the 24 lb is usually plenty for most folks. As for venting the Ranger, I never had any problems with mine, tilt shoulder up, raise hose and vent.

I had similar problems with the Ranger. I also had a Brigade (Escape wing with Ranger harness). Although I liked the Zeagle BCs, I eventually went to a BP/W and find the Oxycheq 30 lb wing to be much easier to vent. If you are keeping the Ranger, you can buy a smaller Zeagle wing like what is featured in Scubatoys, which may work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom